Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Scary Economy


It was about a month ago when my friend Jerry got laid off. A few months before that, it was my ex-wife. Before that, it was her father. I'm also hearing (second-hand) that even my brother is struggling. He works in construction, and it seems they have cut back on his hours. His wife, who usually stays at home to take care of their daughter, is having to go out to find work just to make ends meet. I have no doubt they're also unhappy about the housing market crash out there in Riverside, CA. The house my mom bought for them for $450,000 is now probably only worth about half that.

So what happens next? How much worse will things get? I remember telling Jerry that he should move here to Austin. Now I'm not even sure that's such a good idea. There were about four to six job openings here at the hospital in my department where I work. According to my supervisor, 700 people applied for those positions. Seven Hundred. Many of the applicants were extremely overqualified. It was a real smorgasbord of people to choose from.

My wife said to me recently, upon seeing a homeless person at a freeway offramp:

"There must be some job they could find. Even cleaning toilets is better than nothing."

"But..." I responded, "maybe those people can't even find a job doing that."

Indeed, recently in Ohio, 400 people applied for a job as a janitor. How desperate has it become when people are fighting over a job as a janitor?

It's discouraging to know how easily I can be replaced. With 700 people clamoring for my job, I've come to the conclusion that I need this job more than it needs me. Back in Taiwan, I felt exactly the opposite. The demand for teachers outside of Taipei was always much higher than the supply. If there was something about a school you didn't like, you simply moved on to another one. There were always a lot more to choose from. I remember the manager of Berlitz in Hsinchu was practically begging me to work there (I didn't).

It's different here in America, though. Here, it's survival of the fittest. It's pretty scary out there right now.

2 comments:

  1. Last year just before Larry was laid off at the end of Sept., he was applying for a promising job, and it looked like he might actually get it. When he was laid off, it still looked hopeful.

    He also was being sought out by headhunters for a couple of other jobs. They told him it would probably be after the first of the year that those jobs would be open.

    He sent his resume to Wichita for an aerospace opening. One of those jobs looked tailor made for him. He didn't hear for a long time, then got a note from them saying that since they didn't get the contract they'd been in line for, that job opening was no longer being offered. POOF! Then they laid off a few hundred people. I think in Wichita it's in the thousands now. (Much as I would have loved having you move to Kansas, maybe it's good you didn't.)

    That first job that looked SO promising never happened, and it dissolved. To my knowledge, they never hired anyone for that position.

    The headhunters haven't called back.

    And nothing is magically appearing on the horizon.

    When things get a bit better, he'll start looking for a part time job. Since we've been forced into early retirement, we can only make 14,500 dollars a year, or they start cutting back on our SS money.

    Fortunately, we are in an okay situation for living. So, no real worries.

    AND, he looks so much better since he retired. His color is great, his face is relaxed. Sometimes there are blessings hidden among the thorns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just make sure you clock in and out on time and no "less than 30 minute lunches"...and always SMILE...then you should be alright. LOL...

    ReplyDelete