Friday, March 20, 2009

Kyle and Bart Simpson


Lately when I think of my son Kyle, I am seeing images of Bart Simpson in my mind.

Are all boys as totally destructive as Kyle is?

A few months ago I made the mistake of buying a box of crayons for the two kids to draw with. Kyle decided to use the crayons to draw on everything except paper. He cost us $200 in damage on our last apartment because he drew on all the walls.

He recently drew all over some library books that we checked out. It cost us $19.

Then (and what probably angered me the most), he drew on our LCD, Hi-Def, flat-screen TV. I cannot get those crayon marks off the TV without possibly damaging it further. So now whenever I'm watching something and the screen is white, you can clearly see all the crayon marks.

Every day it's a new adventure in destruction with Kyle. He'll grab my dvd's, draw all over the box, take out the disc inside, then use them as frisbees. Then he'll draw (or tear) all the inserts inside.

What other destructive things does Kyle like to do?

He likes to open bags of tampons and throw them all over the floor.
He likes to throw food and drinks all over the floor.
He'll grab a bag of baby wipes, take out every single wipe, and put them on the floor. Baby wipes, for those who are familiar with them, are only effective when they are wet. Once you take them out of the bag, they dry up and are useless.
He likes to pull down the blinds on all the curtains.

And these are just the ones that I can think of off the top of my head. There's more, believe me.

If he's doing this now and he isn't even 2 years old yet, what can I expect when he gets older? Do I have fires on the living room floor to look forward to? Furniture that is cut up with knives and scissors? Numerous trips to the principals office to discuss Kyle's behavior problems?

Perhaps I'm overreacting, and maybe his behavior is natural for a 2 year old. Maybe he'll "grow out of it" and be a really good kid. Let's hope. Please, please, please.

(Picture: this could soon be me and Kyle)

2 comments:

  1. Ken, welcome to parenthood. That cracked me up.

    I think boys are more into destruct testing than girls. One time Tim woke up real early. I woke up to some sounds in the kitchen that didn't sound good. He was about 2 1/2, it was soon after Amber was born.

    He was standing in the kitchen with the box of 18 eggs I'd bought. He was taking them out of the box, one at a time, setting them on the floor and smashing them with his foot. I couldn't believe it.

    When he was 19 months old, he messed around with some of Larry's reel to reel sound reels. He got in trouble for that. So, a couple came to visit and we were playing music.

    Their little child started to reach for the tape on the reel, just like Tim had done. Tim immediately shook his finger at the little kid and said, "NO NO NO." Then he reached over and demonstrated what the little kid wasn't supposed to do. LOL

    I could go on and on and on...... Had two boys. Girls do stuff too, as you know, but boys seem to do so much more.

    I've got to read your post to Larry. He'll get a kick out of that.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. After I wrote that, I read it to Larry, who sat here and laughed and laughed as I was reading. Then we talked about all the things our boys did. Like Fred kicked a couple of slats out of his crib as a toddler, then threw one of them like a javalin right through the glass window.

    When we moved into that house on Stevely, the bay window had a crack in it, so we replaced it. Soon after, Tim threw a ball through that window (most expensive window in the house to replace, of course.)

    So, we replaced it again. Same thing. So, Dad put in lexan or something. Didn't look as nice as glass by a long shot, but whenever balls or other toys or rocks hit it, it didn't break, and that did happen a few times.

    Then there was the time Fred stuck his head right through the back door window when he was little. The kids were yelling to me that he'd done that. It horrified me and I was running as fast as I could to get to him, but felt like I was moving in slow motion. He was sitting there on the back porch, grinning at me. No facial cuts at all. He only had one teeny, tiny scratch on the top of his head. WHEW!

    I guess I shoulda warned you before you had any boys.......... LOL

    Janet

    ReplyDelete