Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The (Famous) People of Austin








I ran into Austin pseudo-celebrity Harry Knowles the other day at Best Buy. I was with my daughter Sara at the time, looking for the blu-ray version of one of her favorite movies, "Ratatouille" (which they didn't have, by the way.) Knowles was also browsing the blu-ray movies, already carrying a handful. He was in a wheelchair, which I assumed was because of his weight problem, and his wife was with him. I didn't talk to him, as there wasn't really anything I wanted to say, and I didn't think he wanted to help me find Sara's movie, anyway. :)

Harry Knowles, for those of you out there who don't know, is a well-know movie critic who runs the website http://www.aintitcool.com/. When a new movie comes out, I tend to read the reviews on his website before I go to see it. I also read Roger Ebert's website as well. If they are both in agreement that a movie is trash, I probably won't see it. What's different about Knowles website, though, is that he will publish reviews for movies that aren't even out yet. Many of his readers are movie-industry spies who often get into advance screenings of movies, so you'll sometimes get reviews months in advance of the movie actually coming out.

I already knew that Knowles lived in Austin, so I decided to do a search of who else lives here, either former or current residents, and this is what I found:

Harry Anderson: the guy from the old TV show "Night Court"
Wes Anderson: film director
Lance Armstrong
Sandra Bullock
George W. Bush (Austin can feel real proud of this former resident....'snicker')
Walter Cronkite
Farah Fawcett
Ethan Hawke
Tobe Hooper: film director
Lyndon B. Johnson
Janis Joplin
Terrence Malick : film director
Willie Nelson
Dennis Quaid
Robert Rodriguez : film director
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Owen Wilson
Renee Zellweger

Some of the names seemed obvious (Willie Nelson, Tobe Hooper), but I was surprised by some of the others. Austin isn't Hollywood, that's for sure, but there are some pretty big-name celebs here. I think the only one from that list that I'd like to meet, though, would be Willie Nelson.


(Pictures: Current and former residents of Austin -Sandra Bullock, Lance Armstrong, Dennis Quaid, Willie Nelson, Harry Knowles, and Dubya)

No comments:

Post a Comment