Thursday, October 30, 2008

Voting Shenanigans


I've been wondering why I haven't received a sample ballot at my apartment here in Texas. Now I've figured out why.

I am not registered to vote.

After logging into a couple of Texas government websites, I have found out that they have no voter registration info on me. It's a bit strange, because I did re-register when I first moved here. When I changed my address, the US post office sent me a packet, which included a small yellow card to update your voter information. I guess for some reason, that card never reached its destination.

Could this be an example of voter suppression by the Republicans? Who knows. Probably not, but you never know. It's kind of pointless to suppress the democratic voters in Texas. Obama will lose by a landslide in this state. Texas hasn't voted for a democratic president since Jimmy Carter in 1976. My only purpose for voting was to add to the popular vote for Obama.

I believe Obama is going to win this election, and it won't even be that close. November 4th is going to be a huge victory for the Democratic party. Not just for the president, but for the Senate seats as well. Under a government that is completely controlled by democrats, we may actually see change. I know that frightens the hell out of some people, but change is really what we need in this country right now.

McCain, of course, is saying that he "guarantees" victory on Tuesday. Does he know something we don't? At this point, the chances of him winning are next to none, unless the Republicans have some new tricks (or old ones) up their sleeves again. They'd have to have the manpower to rig the vote in all the battleground states that Obama is leading in, and right now that's quite a few.

As for me, I'll just sit back and watch as the numbers come in, and hope that everyone and everything that I would have voted for succeed. After that, I'm going to go down to a local government office and register to vote....again....for next time.

4 comments:

  1. You know, I don't know who, but you might consider reporting this to someone. I heard on tv that this sort of thing has been happening here and there, and it is something someone needs to be aware of. The more people who report it to the right people, the less likely it'll happen next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the ball is gonna be in Obama's court.(I guess that comment will be perceived as racist by some people, since African-Americans are now the majority in the NBA.) But seriously, do you really think anything is going to change? I just don't think my life is affected that much by whomever resides in the White House.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, ttt. Yes, usually nothing changes. But that is often because the Democrats in congress will block the measures that the Republicans are trying to pass, and the Republicans in congress will block whatever the Democrats are trying to pass. It's really hard to accomplish anything this way. If one party is in complete control, maybe then you'll finally see some changes. Will they be good changes? Who knows. We'll have to wait and see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Democrats were in total control at the beginning of Clinton's reign. But not much got done. In fact, I don't recall what it was, but people were getting mad and the next election the Republicans came into power in the legislative body. Clinton gets credit for the budget being balanced (we still had debt of course, but a balanced budget finally.)

    However, I think the country did better, in general during some of that time due to the gov't being locked up and unable to do anything to screw things up.

    We'll see how things go after this election. Probably not a lot will get done, but we always hope, huh?

    ReplyDelete