Monday, November 16, 2009

2012: The End of the World?


I just saw the movie "2012" this past weekend. It's based on the Mayan prophecy that the world will end on December 21, 2012. The movie is 2 hours and 40 minutes of mass destruction: earthquakes, volcanoes, floods, and everything but the kitchen sink thrown in.

The director (Roland Emmerich) has made some decent movies in the past. "Independence Day," "The Patriot," and "The Day After Tomorrow," to name a few. He's also made total crap like "Godzilla" and "10,000 BC."

I thought the movie was pretty good. I'd give it about a "7" on a scale of 1 to 10. I didn't particularly like the message it sent: that only the billionaires and politicians of the world will be deemed worthy enough to survive.

**Spoiler Ahead**
In the movie, the only people who survive are those who can pay 1 billion dollars per person to get a seat on an "ark." The "ark" being an enormous ship built within the Himalayas that can withstand the massive "mega tsunami" that's approaching. Is it fair? No. But I guess that's the way it would be in reality. It' all about $$$
**End of Spoiler**

Personally, I don't buy into any of it. Many thought that Y2K would be the end of the world. People were building underground bunkers and stocking up on food and water. What did I do on December 31, 1999? I was at the Eagles concert at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. Yep, I knew (and was right) that nothing would happen.

2012 (the movie and the year) will come and go as well. If there is any possible sign that 2012 might be the beginning of the apocalypse, it's that Sarah Palin might run for president that year.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, it's true. Money talks - Bulls**t walks. Amd people have been going on about "The End" for ages. It will come when it comes and it will most likely be unexpected.

    As far as the apocalypse coming if Sarah Palin is elected (fat chance), I recall friends saying the same about Nixon and Reagan and even a few about Carter. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen the movie, but did they explain how a few billion dollars would mean anything after the apocalypse? I'd think that smarts and skills would be what would be important. Did they cover that?

    I didn't think it was a prediction by the Mayans. I thought that whoever was making the calendar stopped in 2012.

    I just figured the guy carving out the calendar got tired, died, retired, moved on to another career......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet makes an excellent point. What good would money be after the entire world is devastated? You would think they would ask for something of intrinsic value like gold... or as Janet mentioned - intellignece and skills. And just how and where did the billionaires deposit their payment? By wire? To a electronic vault on the ark? Seems a useless exercise. He he...

    I guess I should watch the movie and enjoy the story without thinking too deeply about it. Most people don't give a damn about such scrutiny or criticism on the believability factor of film stories anyway. As long as it's not extremely silly...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
    Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

    ReplyDelete