Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Returning to Taiwan?


Now that we've received our income tax refund, my wife has started tossing around the idea of going back to Taiwan for a week or two. We have enough money for the four of us to go, but it will definitely use up most, if not all of our refund.

Personally, I don't have a strong desire to go back to Taiwan right now. I haven't been gone long enough to miss it. I told my wife that maybe she could go with just the kids, and I would stay back here in Austin. She doesn't like that idea. She thinks it's too hard to handle the kids alone on the airplane. I can understand where she's coming from. A few years ago, Sara and I traveled together to America, and it was pretty tough for me, and that was just ONE kid.

My next idea, which my wife seemed to like better, was paying for her parents to come see us in Texas. She would still get to see her parents. Her parents would see the kids. And we'd only have to pay for 2 airline tickets instead of 4. Sara and Kyle can't sleep in a bassinet anymore, so now we have to pay for a full, adult ticket.

To me, this is a great idea. It would spare me a horrendous, 16+ hour flight. (3 hours from Austin to Los Angeles, followed by 13 hours from L.A. to Taipei. Followed by a 3 hour drive from Taipei to Nantou.) Not to mention the fact that I don't even particularly like my in-laws. They usually ignore me the entire time I'm there. I'd have to go through this torturous travel experience just to end up somewhere I don't really want to be.

Am I being selfish? Maybe, but just a little. My wife didn't always go with me to America whenever I went back. And when she did go back, I took her to all the hot spots of Southern California. We went to the beaches. We went to Hollywood. We went to Disneyland. We went to San Deigo, Sea World, etc. To her, it was a vacation. Going to Nantou, believe me, is NO vacation. Nantou is a small town in the center of Taiwan, surrounded by jungle. You'll get bitten by mosquitoes a hundred times over. The only thing to do there is sing at a KTV and visit the local "Bamboo Museum."

If Christy's parents were to come to Austin, we could show them around Texas. They've never been to America before, and where better to experience American culture then right here in good 'ol Texas? They'll be eatin' bar-b-que, wearin' ten-gallon hats, and sayin' "Yeehaw" before they head back to Taiwan.
How can they resist that?

(Picture: a view of Taipei)

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to laugh whenever her parents like America too much, and end up wanting to move in with you guys.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ken,
    Why not just fly out to Los Angeles and visit the in-laws there? That way, you and Christy could meet them at the airport. You could rent a minivan to take everyone around for 4 or 5 days. Then send your in-laws back to Taiwan with a bunch of souvenirs that were Made in China! Clint T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That idea sounds intriguing. I'll mention it to my wife and see what she says. She'll probably think that 4 or 5 days isn't enough. She'll want them to stay for at least two weeks, and getting a hotel in L.A. for two weeks will cost mucho $$$$.

    ReplyDelete