Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Going Back to Cali


"Should I fly to Los Angeles
Find my asshole brother?"
-Bush, "Everything Zen"

For Mother's Day, the whole family is going to be flying back to Los Angeles for about 5 days. We'll be visiting my mom in the nursing home (naturally), and I'm hoping to talk to her doctor to see if my mom really has to stay in the nursing home. Both my brother and sister seem to think that there is absolutely no other option, but I just find it a little hard to accept. There's always other options, and since my mom has Medi-cal (which in Texas is called Medicaid), I'm pretty sure they do offer some home-health assistance. The biggest hurdle will be getting my mom to actually want to move. She seems pretty settled in to her nursing-home life.

I imagine we'll also be seeing old friends while we're there, and probably going to Disneyland again (this would be Kyle's first time there, and Sara's 3rd time.)

Will I see my brother? Very, very unlikely. Unless he happens to be at the nursing home at the same time as me. But we're trying very hard to avoid this situation. I sent an email to my sister (who's also flying out around the same time as me) to tell her the days that I would be visiting my mom, so that way there wouldn't be any chance encounters.

I do like to go back and visit L.A. every now and then. There is a lot to see and do there, if you don't mind putting up with the vomit-inducing traffic. Since we'll probably be staying in Long Beach this time, to visit my mom will require us to take the 91 eastbound freeway out to Riverside county. Those of you who know nothing about L.A. freeways, let me just tell you that this freeway is the worst of the worst. A drive that should only take about 45 minutes normally takes 2 hours. It's hell, I tell you. Absolute hell.

But, on the plus side, since we're not staying with my brother this time, we're not stuck out in the boondocks away from civilization. Long Beach is nicely located close to many beaches and not far from downtown L.A. and Hollywood. So when we're not visiting my mom, we'll actually be able to see some cool stuff instead of just outlet malls in the middle of the desert. Why people would want to live out in Murrieta (and the surrounding area) is beyond me. People would say it's because you can get a bigger house for less money. But so what? Those same people are also the ones who have to drive 2 hours to work every day (one way.) When I worked in Long Beach, I knew a guy who drove from Victorville to Long Beach every day. That is a long freaking drive. Why do it? Personally, I'd rather just buy a condo in the city than buy a house out in the middle of nowhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment