Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Years Resolutions


I generally don't make any New Years resolutions because after a couple of months I forget what they were. In the past my resolutions have been pretty typical: try to make more money, exercise more, try to lose another 5 or 10 pounds, learn more Chinese, more quality time with the kids, etc.

For 2009, Christy and I have a lot of the same resolutions as before, and a few new ones. First, and I think most importantly, we need to move into a bigger apartment. This is Austin, Texas, not Southern California or Manhattan, so we can definitely afford a two-bedroom apartment now. Sara has grown out of her crib, so now she sleeps on a mattress in what should be our dining room. When we got this apartment back in July, we were desperate for anything and fighting for survival, but that's just not the case anymore.

Also, we need to get out to California sometime this year to spend some time with my mom, and to let her have more time with her grandchildren. I, unfortunately, never knew any of my grandparents. Both my fathers and my mothers parents were all dead and gone by the time I was born. My only memory of them is from photographs. I'd really like my kids to know their "American Grandma" before it's too late. Luckily for us, it will be cheaper for us to fly to California now that we're back in the US. When we were living in Taiwan, it was costing us over $3,000 every time we came back for the holidays. This time it will be less than half that amount.

Barring emergencies, or if my friend David in Taiwan finally marries his longtime girlfriend Pi Chi, we don't have any plans to visit Taiwan in 2009. We're planning a big trip to go there in early 2010, for Chinese New Year. We'll also visit Tokyo for a week either before or after we see my wife's parents.

Christy told me her top priority this year is to save money. That used to be impossible when our salaries were going to the daycare center, but now it may be possible to actually save something.

We just finished watching the annual Tournament of Roses Parade on TV. Christy pointed out to me that for the past 4 years, once we watch that show, we know it's time to head back to Taiwan, since we've always flown back on either the 1st or 2nd of the new year after our holiday visit. Not this time, though. She's finally beginning to accept the fact that America is now her new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment