Sunday, January 25, 2009

Austin's Wacky Weather


Our last two weekends have been pretty uneventful. Most of our time has been spent indoors. Not because we want to stay indoors, but because it's been so damn cold lately.

It's odd, really, the weather here. Austin, I've now learned, is a place that can be 85 degrees one day, and 40 degrees the next day. That's what happened this week. Monday through Friday was very nice, warm weather. Then the weekend arrived. The time when all four of us can finally go out and do something together as a family.

On Saturday morning, about 11am, I check the local weather forecast. It's 38 freakin' degrees outside! What's going on? It was over 80 degrees less than 24 hours ago! So, instead of going to a park or someplace outdoors, we change our plans and go to the local library instead. Not exactly the funnest thing to do on a weekend.

I suppose I should be grateful that we don't live in Chicago or Minnesota or North Dakota or New York. Places that typically dip below zero regularly during the winter. Austin never gets that cold, thankfully. The coldest I've seen it here was about 29, and we woke up to find ice everywhere. That's probably the closest to snow that we'll ever see here, although I have heard that it will snow on a rare occasion.

Still, back in sunny ol' Southern California, it rarely gets into the 30 degree weather. In Austin, it's pretty common. I don't think my wife is used to it yet.

So...I've been reading lately. I just read another book by Stephen King called "Desperation." I liked the book a lot. I finished it in just under two weeks. Then I had the unfortunate experience of watching the TV movie that was made from it. Oh man, did it suck. TV and Stephen King just don't mix. The best Stephen King adaptions have always been big-screen versions by accomplished directors like Frank Darabont and Rob Reiner. This version of "Desperation" was just embarrassing.

(Picture: Kyle, dressed and ready to head out into the cold.)

No comments:

Post a Comment