Sunday, January 4, 2009

A Day Downtown






I don't think I've seen everything there is to see in Austin, but I think I've seen most of it. If I had grown up here and lived here most of my life, I'd probably say this is a great city. But as I've said before, I've been spoiled by living in L.A. most of my life. If there is one thing that I really do like about living here compared to L.A., it's the traffic. You can get to anyplace in Austin within a 30 minute drive or less. It's great. In Los Angeles, it can easily take you 90 minutes to drive from Long Beach to downtown, and on busier days it could be up to 2 hours or more. Driving anywhere in Los Angeles is such a chore, even on weekends.

So this past weekend we drove to downtown Austin again. It didn't take long to get there from where we live, maybe about 10 minutes. There's a second "Austin Museum of Art" downtown that we hadn't yet seen, and admission is free the first Saturday of every month. Thank God it was free, because this museum was no better than the last one we went to. I think we'll have to end up driving to Dallas if we want to see one of the better museums in Texas, Austin just doesn't seem to have any.

Later we had dinner at a restaurant in the downtown area called "The Spaghetti Warehouse", which seemed almost identical to "The Spaghetti Factory" that they have in L.A. It must be part of the same chain.

After dinner we went to Zilker Park once again, but frankly I don't think this is a very good park to take children. It's primarily a park where people take their dogs to run around free. There's very little grass to sit down on, as it's primarily dirt and rocks. We saw many boats out in the river, and I thought it might be fun if we rented one for an hour or so, but I couldn't find anywhere where boats could be rented.

(Pictures: 1. Christy and the babies outside the downtown Austin Museum of Art. 2. Christy and Kyle browsing the shops. 3. Sara showing off her homemade artwork. 4. The Spaghetti Warehouse restaurant. 5. Another view of Zilker Park, which you can see has no grass whatsoever.)

1 comment:

  1. Austin is the capital of US state of Texas. Also, was the third-fastest large city in the nation from 2000-2006. Modern city you live in.
    Good choice!

    ReplyDelete