Thursday, July 19, 2012

Nashville

We spent two days in Memphis, and only one afternoon in Nashville, Tennessee.  Christy and I later agreed that we should have spent more time in Nashville.  Nashville seemed to be much more alive and exciting.  While Memphis proclaims itself the "Birthplace of Rock N' Roll," Nashville claims to be "The Birthplace of Country Music."  It's just too bad that I dislike about 95% of today's country music.

In our brief time, we visited the Country Music Hall of Fame, and the Walk of Fame outside.  I was surprised to see many rock stars on the Walk of Fame.  Jimi Hendrix was there, as was Elvis, and even Steve Winwood, lined up right along country stars like Dolly Parton.  We also walked all over the downtown area, passing many clubs along the way.  Many of the clubs (and the BBQ restaurants) were already packed with people, and this was in the very early afternoon.  We went to the Capitol building, which was closed for renovation at the time we were there, but it didn't seem as impressive as the Capitol building here in Austin.

The one place I would have liked to visit was the Grand Ole Opry.  That was the only historical venue that I was familiar with and I knew its history.  Unfortunately, it's not located in the downtown area, and we didn't have time to check it out.  The Grand Ole Opry is like the Hollywood Bowl in L.A.  You should try to catch at least one show there in your lifetime.


I'd stop in Nashville again if I ever find myself driving through Tennessee again.  Memphis...probably not.












No comments:

Post a Comment