Thursday, July 19, 2012

Arlington National Cemetery

I guess it might seem weird to some to visit a cemetery when you're on vacation.  But this is no ordinary cemetery.  This is where the Kennedy's are buried:  John, Jacqueline, Robert, and Edward are all here.  My kids seemed to be fascinated with the "eternal flame" at JFK's grave, wondering how it can stay lit even in the rain.

I couldn't see Edward Kennedy's grave, as it was being closed off for renovation.  I was surprised at how small Robert's headstone was.

Being an admirer of JFK, I had to visit this site.  He was one of the great presidents, and I can't imagine what might have happened if George Bush had been in charge during the whole "Cuban Missile Crisis."  I guess none of us would be here today.  It's sad that today's extreme right-wing has now tried to portray Kennedy in a negative light, with Rick Santorum saying that Kennedy's speech in 1960 made him "want to throw up."  I guess it's no wonder that guy didn't survive the primaries.









2 comments:

  1. Republicans who are much smarter than Santorum have been trying to usurp Kennedy lately. He was fairly conservative on economic issues and supported lowering taxes to balance the budget.

    Of course, he was a flaming liberal on social issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kennedy was the last great democratic president

    ReplyDelete