Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Dental Blues


I went to the dentist today. It was a little over a year since the last time I went. Once again, I had no cavities, which is further proof that the last dentist I saw in Taiwan was full of crap. He had told me that I had four cavities, including one on a tooth that already had a filling! Of course, I doubted it, as I had never in my life had so many cavities at one time. It's my belief that, when in Taiwan, always get a second, third, or even fourth opinion on medical and dental matters.

I do, however, seem to have a problem with my gums. The dental hygienist came to inspect my gums, and called out numbers to the clerk. If the number was "1" or "2", it meant my gums were in good condition. "3" or 4" meant "caution", and "5" or "6" was "danger." I started out getting mostly "3's", with a few "2's." But then I started to get some "5's" and "6's." My gums had worsened from last year, since I declined their "scaling" procedure at the time.

Last year they wanted me to pay something around $500 to fix the problem. This year it's $969. And yes, I have dental insurance, but it's still going to cost me nearly a thousand bucks to fix my teeth. Luckily, I don't have to pay all at once. This is a treatment that will take over 6 months to complete.


I'm not really sure why I have this problem with my gums. I do brush twice a day, though I rarely floss. That could be the answer right there.

I'm always skeptical of this kind of thing, but I don't doubt that my gums are messed up. They tend to bleed easily whenever I floss, and sometimes just brushing will do it. So, I'm just going to pay the freakin' thing and be done with it. Teeth are important. I don't want to be a gumless old man when I get old.

2 comments:

  1. Ken,

    Do not be skeptical of what this dentist told you. If he told you that there is a gum problem, there most likely is. I know this because I have been struggling with this problem for years. Essentially, it is caused by two things: plaque and bacteria build-up under the gum. Excessive and aggressive brushing make it worse. The plaque and bacteria cause the gums to become inflamed and push away and recede from the teeth. I'm not sure if you have recession yet, but it will happen if it's not dealt with.

    Anyway, the problem is made worse by brushing your teeth much harder than necessary, wearing away the inflamed gum tissue. Eventually, you have root surface showing and the tooth becomes loose. Plus the roots have no enamel, making further decay a real possibility. Bacteria also creeps deeper under the gums making the problem even more severe.

    It sounds as if you are going to go in for a major series of surgical under the gum cleanings. My father (who has the same condition as me only worse) had to have this done to prevent anymore gum recession. It was expensive. If your gums are in severe shape, expect to have it done a few times before you're finished. My father had his done and then had regular cleanings every three months thereafter. His gums were in such a condition that it was justified.

    In my own case, I get my teeth cleaned by the dentist every 6 months. I also floss twice a day - in the morning and evening with waxed floss. I am gently scrupulous about getting under the gum when I do this. Just getting the floss between your teeth is not enough.

    I should floss three times a day, but can't always get to it on the job. I use a "GUM' brand toothbrush with ultra soft bristles,brushing very gently with a circular motion, being careful not to get the brush too much up on the gum. It"s hard to get the hang of brushing softly. Especially when rushing to get out the door in the morning. I also change my toothbrush every month.

    Additionally, use high quality toothpaste and a non-alcohol mouthwash(also 2x's a day). Strong alcohol based mouthwash like Listerine will kill the plaque and bacteria easily, but will also eat away at gum tissue. And, if you like acidic fruits like oranges and lemons, try to rinse your mouth out as soon as possible after eating them. The sugar and acid from the fruit mixed with saliva can literally eat paint off a car and will do the same to your gums.

    Prevention is the key. If your gums are bleeding when you floss, you have a problem. It's a problem that never really goes away. You'll have to be diligent for the rest of your life with cleanings, flossing and gentle brushing if you want to keep your gums and teeth until your demise.

    There is one drastic solution to massive gum recession should it ever get that bad. A dentist, specializing in gum surgery, can cut pieces of tissue from the roof of your mouth and replace the gum tissue that has been worn away. It can be very expensive to do. I have never had it done; I haven't gotten that bad yet and hope I never do. However, I would do it if I had to. Teeth and gums are meant to last a lifetime.

    Good luck with it Ken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cole,

    Thanks for the very informative post. According to my dentist, my gums are not severe at this point and can be easily fixed with a series of treatments. The first treatment is the "scaling" which will happen later this month. That one is the most expensive procedure ($408). Then I'll have a follow up appt. 4 months later. Then they plan to treat each individual tooth that got a high number on my evaluation. Eventually it will all come out to $969, but thankfully not all at once.

    ReplyDelete