Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Birthday #39


I just turned 39 today. I looked over the blog I wrote a year ago when I turned 38, and I mentioned that it was a bit scary to be only two years away from turning 40. Now I'm only one year away. I imagine 40 will be here before I even know it.

40 is a bit of a scary number for me because that's officially "middle age" (assuming you make it to 80.) Since I recently joined Facebook, I've had a chance to look at numerous photos of people I knew in high school, and my God some of these people look so old. Some still look good, but others have really been ravaged by the sands of time. I'm glad I still look relatively young.

My mom comes from a family of 9 children. Her brother, Roy, just died recently, so now my mom is the last one left in her family. It's just a reminder of how time flies so quickly.

I remember I had to work at the hospital last year. I had only been working there for a month, so I wasn't going to ask for the day off. This year I have the day off, so I'm going to try and enjoy my time. I'll be able to pick up Sara from school today, and I imagine we'll all go out for dinner somewhere tonight.

"If you've got a steady job, a family to eat dinner with, and friends to drink beer with, you're doing pretty good. If you also happen to live in Texas, you're doing extremely good. In fact, there are only three things you need to know to have a decent life: 1. Don't mess with Texas. 2. Medium rare. and 3. Yes, I am ready for some football."

-Hank Hill, "King of the Hill"

Ok, so I'm not quite Hank Hill, but I guess by his criteria, my life isn't too bad.

3 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY KEN!!! Wait 'til your 45th reunion and you'll see even more aging. Boggles the mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday, Ken. You certainly have come a long way since you arrived back in the States. It must be nice to reflect on that and look forward to the next year of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked at some website at the time of my 20 year high school reunion and was amazed at how old those people were. I still have the sculpted body of a young Brad Pitt (only better) while a girl I wanted to nail many years ago looked like an old lady.

    ReplyDelete