Saturday, September 19, 2009

Zilker Park Botanical Gardens







We came upon this pretty nice park by accident today. We drove into downtown Austin, hoping to go to the IMAX theatre to catch "Under the Sea 3-D." Once we got into downtown, it was a madhouse. Over a hundred thousand people have descended upon the city for the Texas Longhorns football game. Austin is a football-crazy city, and when the Longhorns are having a game here, it's best to stay far, far away from downtown. I was a bit surprised to find out that tickets to the game cost $95 a person. That's pretty freakin' high, if you ask me. If I wanted to take the family out to watch a game, it would cost me over $400. I think not.

So on our way out of town, we came across the Zilker Park Botanical gardens. It was free, and virtually empty, so that appealed to us, and we stopped there.

The gardens were quite nice, if you enjoy this kind of thing. It features both western and oriental style gardens. Christy told me she preferred the western gardens, and I told her I preferred the oriental one.

"That must be why we love each other." she told me.

(Pictures: I wasn't planning on taking pictures today, so I had to get these with my cell phone camera, so the quality may be a little lacking. 1. Sara and Kyle take a break on the butterfly chair. 2. The Oriental Garden. 3. Sara tries to catch a butterfly. 4. More Oriental Gardens. 5. The kids look at the fish.)

No comments:

Post a Comment