Saturday, October 3, 2009

Austin City Limits Music Festival vs. Woodstock




This weekend the crowds are once again returning to downtown Austin for the annual "Austin City Limits" music festival. This is like the "Woodstock" of Austin. 3 days of peace and music (well, definitely music. We'll see if the peace holds up.)

No, I'm not there, though I wouldn't mind to be. Although, to be honest, out of the 130 bands playing at the festival, I've maybe heard of about 10 of them. Pearl Jam has basically got the "Jimi Hendrix" slot and are closing the show on Sunday. Kings of Leon was the big attraction on Friday, and the Dave Matthews Band is closing the show Saturday.

I'd heard stories of previous ACL's being extremely hot and dusty. This year it looks like it's going to be raining most of the weekend. So this year it may actually be a lot more like the legendary Woodstock festival of '69, with hippies rolling around in the mud.

As much as I would have loved to be at the Woodstock festival (I wasn't even born yet), I don't think the people who were actually there could really have enjoyed it all that much. It was cold. It rained. There wasn't enough food or toilets. It's not surprising that most of the crowd had left before Jimi Hendrix even set foot on the stage on Monday morning. If I were there, I probably would have left early too.

So maybe I'll go to next years ACL festival, if my wife will let me. She likes to remind me that, as a married man with kids, I can't really act like I'm single anymore and have this kind of fun. Yeah... what a downer, huh?

So, I guess I'll just pop in my Woodstock cd's, or play the movie, and have my own little music festival in my apartment.

(Pictures: The Austin City Limits Music Festival 2009, and the famous pic from "Woodstock)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you need to get one or your current or previous co-workers teenage daughters to watch the kiddos while you take your wife to experience Austin music scenes!!! Just a thought!! Im sure she would enjoy it as much as I know you would...LOL

    ReplyDelete