Friday, October 16, 2009

Subtle Racism


Racism rears its ugly head again, this time in Louisiana. A justice of the peace refuses to grant a marriage license to an interracial couple: http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/10/16/louisiana.interracial.marriage/index.html

As soon as I saw the headline for this story, I immediately thought "It probably isn't in the United States." But no. It was here, in the land of the free. In 2009. Not 1959, not 1969, but 2009.

Naturally, I was shocked. What decade did this justice of the peace think he was living in? This is what the guy, Keith Bardwell, said when confronted with charges of racism:

"I'm not a racist. I do ceremonies for black couples right here in my house. My main concern is for the children."

This sounds like the type of racist who tries to defend himself by saying "I have lots of black friends!" I've heard that one before. Usually those black "friends" are just acquaintances, or co-workers. They're rarely true friends.

Mr. Bardwell also tries to argue that most interracial couples end in divorce. Does he have exact statistics? Just because he's seen a few, doesn't mean it happens to everyone. Like I've heard so many times before, 50% of all married couples get divorced, so by this logic, why marry anyone?

Being in an interracial marriage myself, I'll admit there are some obstacles you have to overcome. For me, it's the subtle racism I see in my own family. None of them will admit to being racist, of course, but it's there. I've had to deal with family members telling me that my children don't look like the rest of the family. I've seen my brother's (white) daughter lavished with attention, while my own daughter was treated like merely an afterthought. I've had my own brother make racist jokes right in front of me. But does this affect my marriage? Not at all. My family can either accept it or get lost.

As for this justice of the peace, Keith Bardwell, he should resign. He's a public official. If he wants to be a racist, that's fine, just leave it at home. Don't bring it to the job.

4 comments:

  1. When my cousin went to Malaysia to marry a Malaysian he met online, most of my family complained that he was marrying a Malaysian. My concern was that he was marrying someone he met online.

    When I e-mailed my family that I was going to marry a heathen local, nobody responded in any what whatsoever. They have since never asked me anything about her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd call that more than "subtle" racism. This kind of stuff keeps us weak. This man was wrong and should retire or get into another line of work.

    This "how it'll affect the children" is a racist excuse I remember hearing back in the 1950's. It's bull.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JM Fan,

    Your family sucks. I think when we both went to Taiwan, our families kind of gave up on us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking about producing a Bumper Sticker that reads: "Everyone is Racist--Get Over It."

    ReplyDelete