Thursday, June 25, 2009

R.I.P. Michael and Farrah




Today was a pretty big day for dead celebrities. We lost both a 70's icon and an 80's icon.

Michael Jackson is dead. This one came as a complete surprise to me, and many other people I work with. I was told by a nurse that a patients blood pressure spiked once she heard the news. I knew that Jackson probably wouldn't do the 50 concerts in London that he was supposed to start next month, but I didn't expect the guy would drop dead. He was only 50.

I was never a big fan of Michael Jackson. I liked some of his songs on "Thriller", and his duet with Paul McCartney ("Say Say Say") is kinda catchy, but shortly after that, the dude just drifted off to Never Never Land, never to return to Earth. I expect over the next several days you're going to see news coverage on the same level as when John Lennon died.

Farrah Fawcett, on the other hand, was expected. She had been dying for quite some time, so it wasn't much of a surprise. I never got into the Farrah craze of the 70's because she was a bit before my time. I was only 5 or 6 when her famous poster came out in the mid 70's. My brother had the poster, though, and I remember it being on our wall. I'll remember Farrah more for her role in "Logan's Run", which was one of my favorite movies of the 70's (before "Star Wars" came out).

So, who's going to be the new King of Pop, now that the old one is gone?

1 comment:

  1. Did you know of Don Coldsmith? He is a writer of Western sagas. He wrote over 40 books and sold something like 40 million books.

    He died today too. Had a stroke yesterday and died today.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete