Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day at The Salt Lick







Last year on Father's Day, we were living in an Extended Stay Hotel. Neither Christy or I had a job, and it seemed like we were soon destined to head back to Taiwan. Luckily, that didn't happen, and this Father's Day was far more upbeat than the last one.

Christy is often going on about how she wants to try the "local cuisine" of Texas. Not just chain restaurants like Marie Callendars or Mimi's Cafe. She wants real, Texas homestyle BBQ. One of my colleagues at work told me about "The Salt Lick." "The Salt Lick" is located about 30 minutes south of Austin, out in cowboy territory where everyone owns a ranch. "The Salt Lick" is a large BBQ restaurant that sits among all those ranches. If you want local, Texas cuisine, this is the place to go.

We arrived early, just before 5, thinking the place would be less crowded, but it wasn't. It was packed. We had to wait 30 minutes to get, not a seat or a booth, but a bench. This restaurant was more of a picnic/BBQ atmosphere than a restaurant.

The food was pretty good, provided you like to eat meat. Christy liked the ribs, but I would recommend the brisket. There were a lot of Asians there, which surprised Christy. She thought she would be the only one there. I wasn't surprised. This place kind of reminded me of some of the places I used to go in Taiwan, although the food was better here.

Texans seem to be very proud of their BBQ restaurants, and their beef consumption. A popular T-shirt that I've seen at these kind of establishments say "I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain....to eat vegetables!" I wasn't aware that humans were ever at the bottom of the food chain. It seems that from the dawn of man, we've always been eating animals.

If you want more info on "The Salt Lick", click here :http://www.saltlickbbq.com/

(Pictures: The family enjoying BBQ at "The Salt Lick")

1 comment:

  1. Before humans became hunter-gatherers they were gatherers. They are still not at the top of the food chain. But I think the t-shirt is less concerned with homo sapiens physiology and more about kicking shit.

    ReplyDelete