Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Main Event Entertainment



Main Event Entertainment, which is a bowling alley, miniature golf course, arcade, and laser tag all in one building, is located all throughout Texas. Since we got a coupon in the mail for "$10 off one hour of bowling", we decided to check it out. I began to wonder, if they are giving us a $10 discount, how much would an hour of bowling actually cost? I hadn't gone bowling in the US since I left for Taiwan in 2004, and the last time I went, I don't remember it being particularly expensive. The website for "Main Event", doesn't mention their prices, and now I know why.

An hour of bowling now costs $29. Times have really changed. Even with the coupon, $19 even seems a bit pricey to me. They say they have "$10 bowling" Monday through Friday from 10am to 4pm, but who the hell can go then, except for the unemployed and the slackers?

Still, we played anyway, and about 30 minutes into the hour, I realized that this wasn't a very good place to take the kids. They can't even pick up a ball, let alone play. I thought maybe they'd enjoy watching me and Christy play, or trip out at the giant disco ball on the ceiling. Sure enough, they liked it, but only briefly. By the end of our 60 minutes, both Sara and Kyle had become a pain in the peegoo.

So, unless you have a coupon, Main Event is just not worth it. Too overpriced. If bowling is your thing, stick to the less trendy bowling alleys, where disco balls are nowhere to be seen.

(Pictures: Main Event Entertainment)

4 comments:

  1. Ken, I'm thinkin' that the hours for the 10 dollar bowling times are aimed at bringing in retired people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is going out every weekend required?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't go out every weekend, although I guess the blog may make it seem like we do.

    Most of my weekends seem to be spent at Costco/Wal mart/Target, and sometimes all in one weekend. Chien Yu seems to love cheap thrift stores.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Better cheap thrift stores than 6 hours at Louis Vuitton.

    ReplyDelete