Friday, April 17, 2009

More Texas Idiocy


I recently received confirmation that I am now a registered voter in the state of Texas. It took a while. I thought I was registered to vote months ago, long before the presidential election in November. Turns out I wasn't, so I registered again.

As a newly registered voter of Texas, one of the first things I'd like to do is vote against this fool who is the governor, Rick Perry.

It seems that our governor would like to secede from the United States. (you can read an article about it here): http://www.statesman.com/news/content/region/legislature/stories/04/17/0417gop.html

Excuse me, but wasn't this what the Civil War was all about? And didn't the secessionists already lose this fight?

Texas is already a laughing-stock to much of the country. Late night talk show hosts like Jay Leno frequently put down Texas, and I even saw a recent episode of "Family Guy" that completely roasted this gun-loving state. There are people here who want to allow guns in schools and churches, if you can believe that. It wouldn't surprise me if they tried to pass a law forcing every resident to own a gun, or be fined! That's how backwards it can be here, and Governor Rick Perry isn't helping the image of Texas one bit.

If there's one positive side to all of this, it's that the people of Texas don't approve of what the Governor is spouting. Thankfully, 75% of Texans disagree with him.

The gun issue, though, is another matter. I work in a hospital that has a sign displayed outside that says (basically) "No Guns Allowed." I see this sign a lot, and it really irks some people that they can't bring their guns to whatever public building they want to go to.

As long as Texas lawmakers and politicians keep up this kind of behavior; trying to turn this state into its own country known as "The Republic of Texas", and wanting guns in the hands of every man, woman, and child, I will never accept this place as my home. I don't think I'll ever "love" Texas in its current state. And if people tell me "Love it or leave it" then I'd be glad to pack my bags.

(Picture: Governor Rick "Secessionist" Perry)

1 comment:

  1. Over the past twenty years in the US, mass killings have occurred in California, New York, Illinois, Nebraska, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Colorado, Wisconsin, and Orgeon. In the south, I saw Texas, Arkansas, Georgia, Alabama, and Florida. That's a 2:1 ratio with non-South states running behind! And it's possible that the ones in the South were not done by native Southerners.

    ReplyDelete