Friday, April 17, 2009

Asian People, Change Your Names!


I was reading the local Austin newspaper recently, and I read a story about a Texas lawmaker, Betty Brown, who is suggesting that Asian people change their names to make it "easier for Americans to deal with."

Here's a link to the article online:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/6365320.html

Here is her actual quote:

“Rather than everyone here having to learn Chinese — I understand it’s a rather difficult language — do you think that it would behoove you and your citizens to adopt a name that we could deal with more readily here?

“Can’t you see that this is something that would make it a lot easier for you and the people who are poll workers if you could adopt a name just for identification purposes that’s easier for Americans to deal with?”

The Asian community, naturally, is furious over these comments. But, in a way, it's kind of understandable. I can't tell you how many times my wife's Chinese name is mangled by the local populace. It's just easier to call her "Christy."

Most importantly, the Asians are being hypocrites, because they do the same damn thing to us foreigners when we live in their country. As soon as I got a job in Taiwan, I was required to choose a Chinese name, or else have one chosen for me. Until I got married, I was known by the Chinese government as "KEN-ISH-SHA." That was the name the government gave me. Then, once I got married, I changed my name to "CHEN DA FOO." I adopted my wife's last name of "Chen", and she helped me pick the first name.

Did I want to be known by these ridiculous names? Hell no, but I did it to make it "easier for Chinese people to deal with." Plain and simple.

What goes around, comes around
.

(Picture: Betty Brown, Texas lawmaker who doesn't want to try to pronounce "Chen" or "Wong" anymore)

3 comments:

  1. But what a funny concept. I never really thought about it before. I think what we did as kids was if we couldn't pronounce someone's name, we gave them a nickname.

    Like my sister, when learning to talk couldn't say "Janet", so she said "Nanny."

    Then my mother added "goat" to it. So, for many years I was called "Nanny Goat." LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't know what Ramey Ko personally thought about Betty Brown's comments. However, some two-faced liberal in New York named John Liu (a City Councilor) is the one who made a big deal about this. Here is what the weenie posted on his website: "It's outrageous and insulting for you to suggest it would 'behoove' us to adopt another name, to give up our birthright and a part of our own identity..." Please notice that his name is 'John' and his wife is 'Jenny' and his son is named 'Joey'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's time all Americans adopt American names. Choose one from the list below.

    Almika (Maya)
    Chaska (Quechua/Inca)
    Chava (Ixil Maya)
    Chipara (Inca)
    Donoma (Omaha)
    Fochik (Chickasaw)
    Hakidonmuya (Hopi)
    Intina (Inca)
    Ixkin (Yucateco Maya)
    Kiche (Cree)
    Mapiya (Sioux)
    Migina (Omaha)
    Mimiteh (Omaha)
    Misae (Osage)
    Namid (Cheyenne & Chippewa)
    Ooljee (Navajo)
    Oota Dabun (Algonquin)
    Pachama (Inca)
    Pamuya (Hopi)
    Qoylurant (Inca)
    Sanuye (Miwok)
    Shoteka (Chickasaw)
    Tadewi (Omaha)
    Taigi (Omaha)
    Taini (Omaha)
    Tuwa (Hopi)
    Wicapiwakan (Dakota)
    Yaxeka (Yucateco Maya)
    Yaxkin (Yucateco Maya)

    [If I were cynical I'd predict that someone will claim Indian ancestry as a preface to their xenophobia.]

    ReplyDelete