Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Riding Out the Recession


It seems like everyone is affected in some way by the economic crisis that's happening here in America. My ex-wife just mentioned on her blog that she was laid off. My friend Jerry Yen told me recently that his company is laying off over 3,000 employees, and he may be one of them, after having worked there for over 10 years. Even Christy and I have doubts about the security of our jobs. I got an email from a supervisor recently that said our hours may start "flexing." This means that, although we may keep our jobs, we might get sent home if there isn't enough work to do.

I've often thought about moving back to California, but currently the unemployment rate there is 8.2%. It's one of the highest in the country. I think if we had stayed in California when we first arrived here back in May, we'd be out of money by now and heading back to Taiwan, feeling depressed that our relocation turned out to be a total failure. Moving to Austin probably saved us from this.

I can't see myself living in Austin forever. Frankly, I can't see myself here five years from now. While Austin has its charms here and there, it's not a very exciting place to live. On the other hand, I absolutely hate moving, and the last thing I want is to be stuck living out of hotels while I'm out looking for a job again. I've been there and done that, and it's not something I would want to repeat anytime soon. For those who read my blogs during the month of June of this year...oh man, was that a stressful time. It's one thing to write about tough times after you've already lived and survived it, but writing it while it's happening is not fun at all.

At the very least, we'll stay in Austin until this recession is over, though God knows how long that will be. We're going to try to ride it out and hope we get through it. Going back to Taiwan isn't really much of an option anymore as it used to be, as their economy is just as bad as the US. I still keep getting emails, though, from schools that want to hire me in Taiwan. I guess I could still find a job in Taiwan, but for Christy it would be tougher. Besides, Christy doesn't seem to have any desire whatsoever to go back to Taiwan. I don't blame her.

4 comments:

  1. It's always good to read your posts, Ken. Like I mentioned before, your blog made it feel like we were watching a mini-series back in the summer! Glad things are working out fairly well now. Best wishes for the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ken,

    The word "effected" in the first sentence should be "affected". Oops!

    Thought you might like to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the correction. Here's what I found from askoxford.com

    "To affect something is to change or influence it, To effect something is a rather formal way of saying `to make it happen'. Confusingly, either may produce an 'effect' or result. ('An affect' is a technical term in psychology.)

    The stability of the wall was affected by passing lorries.
    The demolition of the wall was effected by the detonation of a charge of dynamite.
    The dynamite did not just 'affect' (influence) the demolition of the wall: it caused it."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like your blog, have to agree with you about Austin. I'm from the West Coast and visited a friend in Austin after hearing how great it was. I have to say I was less than impressed. I've started referring to it as "Boise South. Although I think Boise actually has more charm. Thanks for all your info on Taiwan, I have lived in Brazil for a number of years and am thinking about moving east soon.

    ReplyDelete