Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Losing Weight the Chinese Way


It's very difficult to find an obese person in Taiwan. They do exist, and I have in fact seen a few, but it's a rare sighting. It's like trying to spot a celebrity in Hollywood. They're there, but it takes a lot of looking.

I've often wondered how the Chinese people stay thin. The things they eat are often deep fried and do not look healthy at all. When I first arrived in Taiwan, the food kind of scared me at first. I would walk by these blue trucks that were selling food, and it just looked awful. I didn't want to eat chicken feet or deep fried duck heads. So for quite some time I was just eating noodles and sandwiches that I would buy from 7-11. So basically, just out of pure disgust of the local food, I started losing weight. Not exactly a great plan, but it worked. I went from 205 lbs to 179 over the course several months.

So today I'm reading a story about three obese Americans who moved to China to try and lose weight, and it seems to be working:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081202/hl_afp/healthchinausoffbeat_081202081540

I thought this story was kind of funny, since I've been telling some of my overweight friends for years to try living in Taiwan for a while if they want to lose weight.

Now that I've been back in America for 7 months, I've gained some of that weight back. Not all of it, thankfully, but about 10 pounds. I'm trying to be careful, though, and not fall into bad American habits of wanting to eat too much junk food. In a state like Texas, where restaurants boldly and proudly claim their portions are "Texas Size!", you really need to be careful.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck trying to stay fit with Texas Meal portions.

    ReplyDelete