Friday, April 29, 2011

Ramblings #9




Yesterday, as I was driving to work in the afternoon, I noticed the price of gas was $3.69 a gallon. 8 hours later, as I was driving home, it was $3.75 a gallon. It had just jumped 6 cents in a matter of hours. Just a few days before that it was $3.65.

I must say, this is really starting to piss me off, and I live in a state where gas is cheaper than most everyone else in the country. (Poor California, their prices are already over $4.00).

Some people like to blame Obama, but is it really his fault? Personally, I think it's just those greedy scumbag oil companies, who are now making billions in profits off the backs of us working stiffs. Sure, they'll try to say it's because of Libya or Syria or some crap. I think most of us know by now that those countries supply very little oil to the U.S. It may not be Obama's fault, but he better start cracking some whips here. I don't enjoy paying close to $35 to fill my small tank (I have a Honda Fit.)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Speaking of Obama, I'm glad the guy finally released his birth certificate. Hopefully this will make the redneck "Birther" movement disappear. But I doubt it. In its place you are likely to see the "Transcripters" instead. Rednecks wanting Obama to release his college transcripts. Please, people, just get a life. Just accept the fact that a black man is president. And, if gas prices keep going up, he's not likely to remain the president that much longer anyway.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, it seems that we will indeed be going to Taiwan this year. We've bought our tickets, so there's no turning back now. We're also going to be visiting Thailand on this trip. It seems one of my relatives is sitting in a prison in Bangkok and we decided it would be best to pay them a visit and give them our support. (My vagueness on this topic is because I plan to write about this in more detail at a later time.) Stay tuned.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Taiwanese girl (the one I met here in the US) who dumped me 8 years ago because I didn't drive a Honda has now added me as a friend on Facebook. Why, I don't know. But pretty crazy, isn't it? I should probably point out to her that now I do drive a Honda.

3 comments:

  1. Syria has no oil to sell.

    The rising price of oil has much more to do with China and India's exponentially growing appetite for crude than it does Middle East turmoil or corporate greed. It is a simple "supply and demand" equation. Plus, the easy to extract oil is now gone and the cost for finding, developing and exploiting new reserves is exorbitant. To expect Obama to do anything about it is naive. The best he could possibly do is release the strategic reserve. However, this would be nothing more than a cynical attempt to get a poll point jump and would only put a small, week long dent in the price of gasoline.

    Additionally, expect the price for many other commodities to rise higher in the next few years. Cotton, sugar, rice, coffee and many other food items will rise beyond the norm. Common metals such as lead will also skyrocket. Blame China for most of it. They are buying more cars than the U.S. does now. All those cars need batteries... hence, the price of lead shoots up.

    Growing industrial powers like China and India need essential stuffs to keep their machines going. Higher demand and low supply means higher prices. Again, to expect politicians of any ilk to change this is tantamount to believing in the fairy god-mother.

    Learn to buy futures. You might get rich.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken, where are you? It's been a while since you posted. Is all okay?

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything is fine. Not too much to write about lately, so taking a short break from the blog. I tend to go through periods where I will either write a lot, or nothing at all.

    ReplyDelete