Thursday, April 14, 2011

Sara.....the genius?

Sara...the genius? Who knows...but still, I think it's every parents dream to have a truly gifted child. Sara got the results from her "Cognitive Abilities Test" back yesterday. This is the test to determine whether or not Sara will be enrolled into the "Gifted and Talented" program for advanced learners. Not only did she qualifty, her scores were pretty remarkable. This is what it said on the letter:

"This student's standard age score of 124 on verbal reasoning ability means that he/she scored higher than 93% of the students in his/her age in the national norming sample. 115 for quantitative reasoning ability means that he/she scored higher than 83% of the students his/her age in the national norming sample. 114 for nonverbal reasoning means that he/she scored higher than 81% of the students his/her age."

Of course, both Christy and I are really proud of Sara, and naturally we are both trying to take credit for Sara's talents.

"That's my smart gene." I say to Christy, jokingly of course. "And because I spent that year with her in Taiwan and helped her develop her English skills."
"No, that's just my smart asian gene." Christy replies back, also jokingly. And this tends to go back and forth, all in fun though.

Christy also thinks that because Sara spent her first 3 years in Taiwan, and was exposed to two languages, that also helped her. She wants Sara to continue learning Chinese by enrolling her in Saturday "bushiban" style classes. I'm not really in favor of this. I don't think bushiban classes are very productive, and based on my experience, kids hate going to them. I'd prefer that Christy teaches the kids herself. She has about the same experience as any bushiban teacher, which is none. I feel pretty confident Sara will be successful in life, no matter how hard certain politicians in this country try to destroy education. I know there will be a lot of roadblocks in her way, but I'm sure she will persevere.

It will be interesting to watch as she grows up. Now I hope that she will pass some of her wisdom off to her brother.

3 comments:

  1. Actually, she got it from me ......... somehow........ LOL

    Well, she's got two smart parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I assume that he/she would score higher than 100% of the students in his/her age in any Taiwanese norming sample.

    Taiwanese verbal reasoning: Is quite in movie theaeter so is making lucky scream into handyphone.

    Taiwanese quantitative reasoning: Scooter are size X. Blue trukc are size X5. So is making lucky drive scooter into blue trukc.

    Taiwanese nonverbal reasoning: Is making lucky urinate in streat. It make rainning sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha ha!

    A reactor contains a controlled nuclear chain reaction. JMS is an objective (jaded?) observer of the rarely controlled lunacy that is contained by the island of Taiwan.

    Perhaps it would be better to evacuate now before it is too late.

    ReplyDelete