Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Ramblings #6


It looks like Donald Trump is probably going to run for president in 2012. At least, that's what he says. It could just be his way of trying to promote the latest season of "Celebrity Apprentice."
I have to admit, though, I kind of like Donald Trump. While most of the GOP was blindly supporting George W. Bush though all of his colossal mistakes, Trump was out there criticizing him. He was one of the very, very few, wealthy Republicans to say that Bush was "the worst president we've ever had" and that going to Iraq was a "big mistake." He's also one of the few in big business who wants to tax Chinese imports into the country by 25%. He seems like he's determined to try to keep jobs here in the US.

Do I think he'd be a good president? Probably not. He's still a Republican, after all, and would most likely cut all the things Republicans love to cut: education, social services, law enforcement, the "Head Start" program, healthcare, medicare, medicaid, etc. He'd likely privatize social security as well. I think he's a lot better than all the other GOP candidates out there, but that's not saying a lot.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This year I got $500 in free "Wellness Benefits" that I could use for any healthcare purchases. All I had to do was take a survey at work about my health and lifestyle. I finally received the card about a month ago.

Cool, I thought. $500 should last a while. I could see the dentist. Sara and Kyle could have eye appointments, and there should be money left over.

Nope. Christy used it all in one swoop at her dentists office. $500 for a new freakin' crown on her tooth. What sucks is that she already had a crown on that tooth, which was put in by a Taiwanese dentist. Apparently, the Taiwanese dentist did such a terrible job, that it had to be replaced.

$500 for one crown on one tooth? Why? What is it with these dentists and their insane fees? And why does dental insurance never seem to cover crowns? Why do I pay for dental insurance that is worthless? (I have Metlife PPO, btw.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I saw a couple of movies recently. One at the theater, and one on Pay per view:

"Battle: Los Angeles" sucked ASS. It was so derivative of every other alien invasion movie, copying heavily from "Independence Day," "War of the Worlds," and even "Saving Private Ryan." If you watch the trailer, you'll see all the best parts. Rating: 4/10

"Hereafter", the newest Clint Eastwood film which deals with the question of what happens after we die, was a lot better. It wasn't as good as I thought it would be, or as deep as I thought it would get, but a decent film. Rating: 7/10

3 comments:

  1. We had dental insurance for a while. It had a low payout per year, and cost enough that it was hardly worth it.

    Crowns have gotten very expensive. I have a friend who just paid over 700 dollars for one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A colored man will be president before Donald Trump.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with JMF. Despite that, I admire his frankness and honesty. He doesn't mince words and gets right to the point.

    ReplyDelete