Friday, November 7, 2008

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre


"The Texas Chainsaw Massacre", which was filmed right here in Austin, is one of the great horror films. I saw this movie when I was a kid and it freaked me out. It was shot on such a low budget and the picture looks so grainy that you feel like you're watching a documentary. There are other great horror films, "The Shining" and "The Exorcist" for example, but none of them seem as real as "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre."

I met three members of the cast, some of whom live (or use to live) here in Austin. Paul Partain, who played the annoying character "Franklin." Gunnar Hansen, the guy who played the most famous character in the film, "Leatherface," and Edwin Neal, who played the Hitchhiker, who cut himself up at the beginning of the movie. They all signed my dvd copy of the movie, which I'm now selling on Ebay (I'll post the link to it below if anyone out there wants to bid on it).

The movie claims to be based on a true story, and I actually believed that for years. It's actually only vaguely based on Ed Gein, who was a graverobber and was convicted of murdering two people in Wisconsin, not in Texas. He never used a chainsaw, either. True or not, the movie had a big impact on me, and as my family were driving through Texas on our way to Austin last May, we saw a lot of ranches that reminded me of the movie. We took some small highways and back roads, and I remember telling myself: Man, I hope we don't break down around here. It looks like Leatherface lives out here.

The only reason I'm selling my old dvd is because I recently upgraded to blu-ray (high definition dvd, for those who don't know). I probably won't sell too many more signed dvd's on Ebay. Ebay charges too much, and your profit margin is so small that it's not even worth it anymore. It was worth it about 10 years ago, when I used to get anywhere from 60 to 120 bucks for a signed dvd, now I'm lucky to get about $20. Either it's the economy or there's just too much stuff on Ebay these days, or both.

Anyway, if anyone would like to see what will probably be my last auction for a signed dvd, here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-TEXAS-CHAINSAW-MASSACRE-DVD-SIGNED-BY-3-XLNT-Con_W0QQitemZ130266418500QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray?hash=item130266418500&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1406%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

(Picture: Leatherface)

No comments:

Post a Comment