Friday, November 7, 2008

Strabismic Amblyopia


My daughter Sara has been diagnosed as having "Strabismic Amblyopia." What the heck is that?

According to Wikipedia:

"Amblyopia, otherwise known as lazy eye, is a disorder of the visual system that is characterized by poor or indistinct vision in an eye that is otherwise physically normal, or out of proportion to associated structural abnormalities. It has been estimated to affect 1–5% of the population.

The problem is caused by either no transmission or poor transmission of the visual image to the brain for a sustained period of dysfunction or during early childhood. Amblyopia normally only affects one eye, but it is possible to be amblyopic in both eyes if both are similarly deprived of a good, clear visual image. Detecting the condition in early childhood increases the chance of successful treatment."

We noticed that Sara had a problem with her eyes last year (see picture above for a good example), but now we actually got the diagnosis. The doctor told us that if this symptom is not properly treated, she could lose her vision (although that is the worst case scenario).

The pediatric opthamologist we contacted informed us that one form of treatment would be surgery.

Oh great, another child that needs surgery! Could it get any worse?

My son Kyle just had surgery on his ears a few weeks ago, now my daughter might need surgery on her eyes. I have yet to receive any bills from Kyle's surgery, but I know they're coming. Luckily we do have insurance for the kids, but even with insurance it's quite expensive. When a surgery costs thousands of dollars, and insurance pays 80%, that 20% can still be a lot more than you can afford.

I was reading an article in the local paper about Austin residents flying to India to have hip replacement surgery. The surgery, I read, costs about $50,000. With insurance, it's about $20,000. In India, they're doing it for $8,000.

Is this what it's come to? Flying to foreign countries to have operations? Sad, sad, sad.

"If one of us ever needs to have a major operation, we should just go back to Taiwan." I told my wife. Maybe she thinks I'm joking. But I'm not. Not really.

(Picture: Sara in January 2007, with her "lazy eye)

1 comment:

  1. Ken,

    If you ever do choose to go overseas to have an operation of any kind, I sincerely recommend Bumrungrad International Hospital in Bangkok. It's a first-class operation with first-class physicians and they are very upfront about the costs, which are reasonable. You can even visit their website and get a ball-park figure (higher than the actual cost in my experiences with them) for a surgeries or procedures. I used to get a full blown yearly physical done for 300USD and my Japanese wife had surgery there when we lived in BKK. I was always more than completely satisfied with the care received. Their dental center is great too.

    http://www.bumrungrad.com/

    Check it out if you care to.

    Take care!

    Cole

    ReplyDelete