Friday, May 4, 2012

Roger Waters in Austin - The Wall Returns!

Sometimes when you wish for something long enough, you may end up getting it (other than winning the lottery, of course.)  The last time I saw Roger Waters performing "The Wall" live was in Dallas, November of 2010.  I wrote a little blog entry about it back then.  There had been rumors that he would bring the show back to America again this year, and I had been hoping for a show in Austin.  About six months ago, they announced a show at the Frank Erwin Center, which is basically right in my backyard (well...20 minutes away).  The show finally arrived last night, May 3, 2012.

It was nice to have this show so close to home.  I didn't need to drive 3 hours to Dallas.  I didn't need to stay in a hotel overnight.  I didn't have to pay anyone $100 to watch our kids.  It was just a much better experience overall.

(picture above: some of the many trucks it takes to move "The Wall" from city to city.)

I didn't pay for the ultra-expensive floor seats this time around.  We paid half the price as last time, but we still had great seats, just a little farther back.  Christy told me she liked these seats better because she was actually able to see everything this time.  When you're on the floor, everyone stands up, and when you're as short as Christy is, you're pretty much screwed if you want to see anything.

(Christy, wearing her Pink Floyd "marching hammers" T shirt.)


The show was great, as expected.  There were little things added here and there that were different from the last time.  As an example, during the song "Nobody Home", Roger would sit in a mock-hotel room on the very far left-hand side of the stage, and if you were on the right, you couldn't really see.  This time, they had massive projections on the right side so you could see what he was doing.  That was a nice touch.  He also added a new song at the end of "Another Brick in the Wall, part 2", which was completely unexpected.

(Picture: Roger's message during the intermission.  It says "I would like to thank all of you who have sent in photos of fallen loved ones.  We will remember them.  -Roger)


I only took a few pictures last time, using my cell phone.  The first time I just wanted to take in the concert, and not be watching it through a camera.  I don't really understand some people who go to concerts and just sit there filming the entire thing, rather than watch it live in front of them.  To me, it doesn't make sense.  This time, though, I relented, and did film a few parts.  Not a lot, just a few.  I figured this would be my last time to see the show, so I guess I wanted a few mementos.  I'll be posting a few additional videos in the days ahead.

I'd recommend this show to anyone who likes, or even kind of likes, Pink Floyd and/or "The Wall" album.  The 2012 tour just started, and runs through July.


 (Picture above:  After the wall falls, Roger says thanks to the fans)
(Video below: The opening song of the night, "In the Flesh?")



4 comments:

  1. Rog plays the trumpet during the final song, "Outside the Wall."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings from Toronto. Going to see Roger in June, looking forward to it. Saw Brit Floyd a few months ago and that was amazing. This will, obviously, be even better. Terry from Tmakworld was in Austin for this show and wrote it up here:
    www.tmakworld.com/2012/05/roger-waters-austin-texas-may-3-2012.html
    I saw another website had incredible pictures from this show. Link here:
    http://theaudioperv.com/2012/05/04/roger-waters-53-frank-erwin-center-austin-photos/comment-page-1/#comment-21219

    Regards,
    Steve (from Tmakworld)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good review on Tmakworld. I agree that the Frank Erwin Center is a little bit old and dated, but it's the biggest arena in Austin. They just built a brand new, state of the art concert hall here (The Cedar Park Center), but it only holds about half the size of the Frank Erwin Center (about 7000 seats). It would have been great to see it there, but "The Wall" show would have been too massive to fit inside. Maybe if Roger ever comes back, with a smaller production, he could play there.

    ReplyDelete