Monday, November 22, 2010

"The Wall" comes to Dallas!








Roger Waters (of Pink Floyd) came to Texas this past weekend, playing in Houston on Saturday night, then Dallas on Sunday. I caught the show in Dallas Sunday night, and, other than David Gilmour showing up to play, it could not have been better.

This was a show I've been waiting for 30 years to see. "The Wall" hasn't been performed since 1980, and as much as I wanted to go, there was no way my parents were going to let a 9 year old kid see a rock concert. Having seen the bootleg recordings of the old shows, and listening to the recordings, this new version of "The Wall" seemed very similar. Some of the projections and cartoons had been updated, and the show had a much stronger "anti-war" message.

Roger's voice still seemed very strong, even on some of the tougher numbers, and he had a lot of energy for someone that's 67 years old. He really seemed to enjoy himself during the show.

"I wrote 'The Wall' because I felt alienated from my audience. I don't feel alienated from you anymore. I want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart." Roger said at the end of the show. That was a bit of a touching moment, coming from him, who's been notoriously distant from his fans for most of his life.

I took some pictures of the show with my cell phone (which you can see above), so the quality isn't too great. I thought about taking video, but if you watched my recent "Rush" video, you can see how bad it sounds, so I figured why make a video that will just sound like crap anyway. Besides, you can watch the entire concert (on HD even!) on YouTube. Just go to YouTube, type "Roger Waters The Wall 2010" and there you go. Every show is pretty much the same.
You can download an audience recording of the show in Chicago from 9/20/10 here:

http://bootlegtunzworld.blogspot.com/2010/10/roger-waters-wall-tour-chicago-09202010.html

(Pictures: 1. Before the concert. 2. The teacher appears during "Another Brick in the Wall Part 2" 3. The "wife" puppet during "Don't Leave Me Now" 4. Pictures of people who died during wars were displayed during the intermission. 5. & 6 The highlight of the show, "Comfortably Numb." 7. The pig comes out during "In the Flesh" 8. The marching hammers from "Waiting For the Worms.")

2 comments:

  1. Was that a very small stadium or were you close to the stage?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was an average sized stadium, holding something around 20,000 people. I had some very awesome seats on the floor, maybe about 50 rows back. I was back just far enough to see all the cool visuals. Those people in the first 10 rows probably missed a lot.

    ReplyDelete