Sunday, January 1, 2012

2012 is Finally Upon Us!





Well, it's 2012. This is the year the world is supposed to end, so I guess this will be my final "New Years Resolutions" post. If I'm writing this again a year from now, then that must mean that the Mayans got it wrong, just like the doomsday prophet Harold Camping (haven't heard much from him lately).

Unlike last year, I didn't stay up to watch the ball drop, or to see Dick Clark dragged out in front of the TV cameras again. Not that I didn't want to. I just had to work the next morning at 6am. A 12 hour shift, too, no less. I couldn't resist the time and a half pay for working on a holiday.

Since I've been writing this blog for a few years, I always like to go back and read the previous years "New Years Resolutions" and see if I accomplished any of them. In January 2011, I mentioned going back to Taiwan, visiting friends and family, and just trying to stay healthy. I went to Taiwan, visited incarcerated family members in Thailand, and survived a colonoscopy. So, I guess I accomplished all my goals. Unfortunately, that family member still remains in a Thai prison, but will possibly be released this year. As for my local family, I did see some of them (including my ex wife) when I went out to California to visit my mom for the last time.

Unless there is another death in the family (hopefully not), I don't foresee any future family reunions anytime soon. The last time I talked to my brother's wife, Kristi, we ended up in an argument again. It was about my mom again, naturally. I had called my mom's cell phone, hoping to talk to her. My brother, or someone who sounded just like him, answered the phone, and then hung up on me. When I emailed my brother and his wife, telling them I didn't appreciate being hung up on, his wife told me that she had disconnected the cell phone. Then she later told me she had "given it away" to her sister. Her story kept changing, but naturally I was the one being unreasonable and childish again. You can never win with this person, so I can honestly say I will likely never see her or my brother again. Once my mom passed away, I no longer need or desire any ties with them.

In happier news, there are some more positive things on the horizon for 2012. I'm seeing Roger Waters "The Wall" show again in May. This time it's here in Austin. Waters is coming back to the USA this year, and this time he's playing (mostly) stadiums. Thankfully, he's playing at an arena in Austin. I wouldn't want to see this show (which is famously "anti-stadium") at a stadium.

We will likely take a big trip in the summer again, though not to Taiwan. We've been floating around the idea of Washington D.C. or Yellowstone National Park. We might even be able to go on a Mediterranean Cruise through my wife's employer, although I'd have to come up with $1900 if I wanted to go, in addition to paying a babysitter for a week. This probably won't happen.

We've also got a big presidential election this year. After jumping back and forth with my predictions last year, I think Obama will probably be re-elected, but by a very, very slim margin. Romney will most likely be the GOP candidate, but I don't know a single person who likes the guy. I think he'd be better than Ron Paul, Rick Perry, or Michelle Bachmann, but that's not saying much.

No comments:

Post a Comment