Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Ramblings #10


Ooops, wrong again!

It seems that Harold Camping's prediction that Doomsday would come last Saturday didn't come to pass. As 6pm approached on Saturday, we were at Costco. Surprisingly, it wasn't very busy in the store. It's usually always busy whenever we go, but this time it only seemed to be at 50% of its normal capacity.

I thought to myself: This is not a holiday weekend. Why is this store so dead today? Could people really be that stupid that they think The Rapture is really going to happen at 6pm??

I really hope that wasn't the reason. I always thought that Austinites are a bit smarter than that.

So anyway, now the guy says that October 21st will be the end of the world. Jeez, dude, give it a break. It didn't happen on May 21st, and it's not going to happen on October 21st. If anybody out there really believes this, then please write me a check and post-date it for October 22nd. You have nothing to lose, right?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The hardcore liberals out there are going a bit too far over the Osama Bin Laden execution. There seems to be some anger directed towards Obama for killing an apparently unarmed man. As a liberal myself, I have no problem with with the Seal team did. Sure, it would have been nice to bring Osama back here for a trial, which would have undoubtedly lead to his execution anyway. But this way saved us time and money, not to mention all the fanatics that would be kidnapping Americans demanding Osama's release. Obama made the right choice. Osama Bin Laden is now just becoming a small footnote in history.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As an update to my ACL post, it seems like we'll be going after all. Christy informed me, too my surprise, that she is a Stevie Wonder fan, and wants to see him Saturday night at the festival. It seems that Stevie Wonder is very popular in Taiwan. I never knew this, nor did I realize she liked him. Oh well, you learn something every day. So, with Coldplay on Friday night (a band that I actually like), and Stevie on Saturday, it seems the show won't be a total washout.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Christy also found a new job last week. A job where she can finally utilize her Mandarin abilities. I always felt her previous job was a bit beneath what she was capable of. So now she will finally be making a decent salary. With China pretty much owning the United States these days, I think knowing how to speak Mandarin will be pretty essential in the future.

4 comments:

  1. Nice to hear that Christy is doing well. What kind of work was she doing before this new job? As for Stevie Wonder being popular in Taiwan, my mother-in-law actually learned the chorus of "I Just Called to Say I Love You" back in the '80s. She can still sing it today! By the way, we just sent in my wife's application for Citizenship today. Let me know if you have any questions about the application process...and I'll keep you informed via e-mail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christy was basically just doing Admin asst. work until she got this new job. It was her first job in America, so she wasn't expecting anything great right away. Now she's finally got a job as a translator and the pay is much, much better.

    I'm curious as to how much you are paying for the whole citizenship process. Christy told me it would be around $700, but I wonder if there are any additional costs. Let me know how it goes. We'll be applying for citizenship later this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your reply, Ken. The fees total $680, and you won't need a lawyer for anything. The form is N-400 if you'd like to get an idea--just download the pdf. You can find some other checklists and instructions, as well. I'll keep you updated about how it's going for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this right after you posted it, but am commenting now.

    When that guy learned of the deaths and attempted deaths after the world didn't end, he stated that he wasn't responsible for anyone else's spirituality or choices (something to that effect.) Then he said it again, but this time added, "Except for my wife's."

    Janet

    ReplyDelete