Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Nutcracker in Austin






I took Sara to her first ballet yesterday (and my first too) at the Austin Symphony Hall to see "The Nutcracker." I'm not much of a ballet person myself, but Sara loves it. I guess most five year old girls want to be a ballerina, so this seemed like the best time to go. Even though I only bought the tickets a few days prior to the show, we still somehow managed to get front row seats, which was pretty neat. We could see the expression on each performers face, and, though not necessarily a good thing, we could also see just how tight those leotards were on the men.

As expected, as you walked through the doors of the theatre, one of the first things you notice is the souvenir stand selling Nutcrackers. Sara wanted one, but these things were ridiculously priced, ranging from $25 for an average sized Nutcracker, up to $50 and $100 for the larger ones. I've seen the $25 Nutcrackers for a buck at the Dollar Store, so there was no way I was going to fall into that trap, so Sara was just going to have to be disappointed.

The show was nice (although I think Sara liked it more than I did), and the orchestra did an excellent job with Tchaikovsky's classic music.

Photos were not allowed in the theatre, but I did manage a few with my cell phone, which is why most of these pictures look like blurry crap.

Pictures: 1. Outside the Austin Symphony Hall. 2&3. Blurry pictures from "The Nutcracker" 4. The Orchestra warms up. 5. Sara poses in front of the overpriced souvenirs.

2 comments:

  1. Tchaikovsky with cowboy hats. Y'all a bunch of sugar plum fairies.

    You should take her to see La bohème.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were no cowboy hats at the Nutcracker show. I really suggest you come to Austin sometime. You'd be surprised how "non-Texas" this place really is.

    ReplyDelete