Friday, January 22, 2010

Week 1


So we've been living in our new house for about a week now, and Sara began her first day at her new school today.

We're starting to adjust to our new home life. Driving to work each day, I pass several miles of far, open land, with only bales of hay and cows around. It's quite a dramatic change from anywhere I've ever lived before. I remember saying once (I think on this blog), that I would rather live in a condo in the city, than in a house in the countryside. Ok, so I'm a hypocrite. I do live in the countryside now. To buy a condo in the neighborhood that we used to live would cost us more than double what we paid for our house. So, it's just not realistic. I guess, to some extent, I understand my brother more for wanting to live out in Murrieta. Murrieta, like Manor, is pretty much a cultural void. Although, unlike Murrieta, I don't need to drive for 2 hours to re-enter civilization (for me, it's more like 15-20 minutes).

Living in the countryside does have a few advantages, though. The air is cleaner. You can actually see stars at night. On a warm night, it might be fun just to sit in our backyard and look up at the sky.

Our cable/internet was reconnected on Tuesday. There's been a lot of news lately. The earthquake in Haiti. The soon to be defeated Obama health care reform bill. And the late night talk show war going on between Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien (I'm on Conan's side, by the way. I think he totally got the shaft on that deal. Leno sucks.)

I'll probably have another blog entry about the health care bill later, but I find the whole situation pretty sad. First Clinton tried to get it passed, and failed, and now Obama. I'm really puzzled by the whole backlash against health care reform. Well, more to come on that later.

Sara seems to like her new school a lot. She has to take the school bus this time since her school is not within walking distance (hell, nothing is within walking distance from where we live). I thought maybe she'd be scared to get on a bus full of strange kids this morning, but she just ran right in. Kyle followed her on, but I had to pull him back, which made him cry for the next 20 minutes. I guess he's ready for school too.

(Picture: My new neighbors)

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you got moved in. Post pictures when you can. Would love to see it all.

    As for the health bill. We've become such a bipartisan nation that it's shameful.

    I think Obama could have been one of the best presidents we've had so far, but the right immediately started in with the hysteria and lies, whipping so many people into a negative mindset that I feel like his hands are tied, and for no reason other than the conservatives don't like him because they aren't willing to let him try.

    ReplyDelete