Friday, January 1, 2010

New Years Resolutions 2010


It's that time of year once again where I try to make some resolutions for the new year and hope to stick to them. Last year I did pretty well. Getting the family into a bigger apartment, and getting out to see my mom were at the top of my list, and we did both. I also predicted that by early 2010, we'd be going back to Taiwan for Chinese New Year. Ain't gonna happen.

This month we're moving into our new house, and the money we would have spent on going to Taiwan went toward our down-payment on the house. So all I can say is...we may go to Taiwan for Chinese New Year 2011. David's girlfriend Pi Chi told us that they're planning to get married this year (after 5 years of dating!), so I'd like to be able to go back for that, but I may not be able to. I still keep trying to get David and Pi Chi, and Christy's parents to come out to see us, instead of us going there. I know David and Pi Chi have a lot more disposable cash than we do.

As for my resolutions, first off, I do want to have a decent vacation this year, but not an expensive one. A local, US vacation, where we can just drive somewhere for a few days or a week. We've thought about two different ideas: a trip to Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone National Park, or a trip to Disney World in Florida. Both have advantages and disadvantages. The Yellowstone/Rushmore trip would be cheaper, but the kids not might enjoy it as much as Disney World. Disney World might be more fun for them, but it would be more expensive and we'd have to drive through states I don't really want to drive through to get there. I haven't been to any of these places before, so I'm hoping to make at least one of them a reality this year.

I also need to let go of the anger I've had toward my brother and sister last year. Those of you who read my blog regularly probably know about how my sister stood us up in Dallas last year and how it really pissed me off. And there is still the ongoing feud I have with my brother over him sticking my mom in a nursing home after she bought him a house. While that will always be a sore spot for me, the only way I'm ever going to have total peace in my life is just to accept what happened and move on. I don't see any warm family reunions happening in the near future, so for now it's probably best to just not think about them for awhile.

Christy will probably request that I talk about our personal life less on this blog, and stick more to impersonal topics. There's a pretty major crisis going on with her family right now and one of the first things she said to me was "Don't talk about this on your blog!" So...I'm abiding by her wishes....although it is a good story.

3 comments:

  1. Ken --

    Last Friday marked our passage into a new year, and a new decade.

    2010 will be a year of new, exciting challenges. We'll be working hard with President Obama to finish the fight for health insurance reform, put more Americans back to work, and get our economy running strong. We'll fight to protect consumers and our economy from Wall Street abuses, improve transparency in Washington to elevate the voices of the American people, and create a vibrant, clean energy economy. And we'll stand up for the President's allies at the ballot box.

    As we've always known, change this big must come from the bottom up. Organizing for America was founded last year based on your feedback, and OFA supporters are at the core of everything we do.

    So as we wrap up one year and prepare for the next, we want to hear your reflections on our work together in 2009 and how you want OFA to move forward in the new year.

    There's no limit to what we can accomplish this year, if we keep working together.

    Can't wait to get started:

    http://my.barackobama.com/2010

    Happy New Year,

    David Plouffe

    ReplyDelete
  2. How has the debate gone from "government-provided health care" to "government-mandated health insurance" ???

    ReplyDelete
  3. In your case, it makes more sense for you to go to Taiwan instead of all the people in Taiwan going to you.

    Forget Mt Rushmore. It is much smaller than you think and too far from anything else to be worth the trip. All your children will remember are very hot days of driving in a foul-smelling car with an aggravated chain-smoking father to see some tiny faces carved in a big rock.

    If the White House does not know the decade starts in 2011, how can they manage health care?

    ReplyDelete