Sunday, August 16, 2009

Austin Ice Cream Festival






On Saturday we went to the 3rd Annual Austin Ice Cream Festival. It sounded like a fun thing for the kids, although not necessarily for me. I don't really like these kinds of things. Too crowded, and too overpriced. Kids over 12 and adults had to pay $5 to get into the festival, and once inside, every single thing cost extra money. Petting zoo: $3. Pony rides: $5. Swing ride: $7. A single scoop of ice cream: $3. Parking: $7. To me, this kind of thing just isn't worth it. I'd rather go to Six Flags, pay one price, and be able to ride everything.

Also, for an Ice Cream Festival, it was surprising at how little ice cream there was. After walking around for a good 10 minutes, passing booths selling all kinds of junk and trinkets (and one booth was offering free fingerprinting for your kids), we finally saw three ice cream stands. There was one for "Austin Scoop", "Amy's Ice Cream" and "Dippin' Dots", and that was it, and they were located at the very back, with enormous lines for each one (even Dippin' Dots!)

I guess I wouldn't be quite so negative if it wasn't so damn hot. It's hard to enjoy any outdoor activity here in Austin when it's 105 degrees. I mean, why not have your watermelon, chocolate, and ice cream festivals when the weather is a little cooler? Why have them in the burning-hell days of summer?

This is my second summer in Austin and you'd think I would have learned my lesson by now. We've already had something like 55 days of over 100 degree temperatures here. From now on we're going to try to stick to indoor activities like museums (and next week we're going to the Circus.)

(Pictures: 1. Sara stands next to an empty ice cream truck. 2. The ice cream train, which also doesn't have ice cream. 3. Two dudes cruising the ice-cream scene. 4. Kyle finally gets to try some ice cream. 5. Sara and Kyle play with popsicle sticks, although I couldn't find popsicles for sale.)

No comments:

Post a Comment