Sunday, September 28, 2008

Ear Infections


As if daycare center fees aren't bad enough, it seems like every week I'm taking one of the kids to see the doctor.

Thankfully, both kids got put onto my health insurance as of September 3rd. We have an $800 deductible. I've only been paying office visit copayments, so I'm expecting a boatload of medical bills in the mail next month.

Here in Austin, they have a medical clinic that is open on weekends, so this Sunday I had to take Kyle in. He's got yet another ear infection (or it's just a continuation of the same one, I'm not sure.) He's had this freaking ear infection for the last two months, and he's been on three different antibiotics (augmentin, amoxicillin, and cefdinir). This time they just gave him a shot of something called Rocephin. This is supposedly the strongest antibiotic they can give a child. If Kyle still has problems, they told me he might need "ear tubes," which would require surgery. This surgery would allow ear drops to go directly to the infection, rather than resort to oral medication. I have no idea if insurance would even cover this, and it stresses me out just thinking about all of it.

We started thinking: how is he getting all these ear infections? Probably from the daycare center. That place just seems like a haven for disease. I've seen kids vomiting there, sharing each others food and water, etc. Viruses are probably flowing left and right.

Just more trials and tribulations of being a parent.

1 comment:

  1. the best thing for Ear infection is the eardoc.
    With the Eardoc there relay inst any problem. as it is non invasive and it treats the problem and not the symptoms
    www.eardoc.info

    ReplyDelete