Monday, October 15, 2012

Austin City Limits Music Festival 2012, Day 3

If the word for the second day of ACL was "wet", than the third day can best be described as "hot."  The clouds were gone, the sun was out, and it felt like summer again in Austin.

Unlike the previous two days, where I arrived late in the day to catch the headliners, I decided to go early on Sunday to hear some new bands I hadn't heard before.  That's the whole point of a huge festival like this, with over a hundred bands playing.  You're hoping to see some new band that catches your eye (and ears).


Because of the heat, I didn't pick bands based on whether I thought they would be good or not.  I went to see bands based on how much shade there was around the stage.  I caught a little bit of a band called "POLICA", but they sounded like some sort of European, techno-dance band.  Not my type at all.
                                              (POLICA)

Next, I moved over to a stage that was actually indoors, out of the sun.  The band was called "Thundercat", but they sucked.  I could only sit through two songs before leaving.  Their playing was just sloppy, and their lead guitarist seemed like he didn't even know how to play.


                                         (THUNDERCAT)

Then I caught about 30 minutes of a band called "The Dunwells."  These guys were okay.  They were at least proficient with their instruments.  Their sound was a bit generic, though.  But, since their stage was completely covered in shade from the nearby trees, I stuck it out.
                                     (THE DUNWELLS)  
                       
After "The Dunwells", I headed over the main stage where I remained the rest of the evening.  I caught the 70's punk rock band "Iggy and the Stooges", and they were followed by the headliners, "The Red Hot Chili Peppers"

Iggy Pop is 65 years old, but you wouldn't guess it with the way he looked, sounded, and acted on stage.  The other members of his band all looked like the senior citizens they are, but Iggy defies his age by prancing around like he's in his 20's.  Well...you know what they say.  You're only as old as you feel.
                            (IGGY POP AND THE STOOGES)

After The Stooges, the crowd packed in like sardines, waiting for The Red Hot Chili Peppers.  I was near the front of the stage, and I literally could not move a foot in any direction, it was so cramped.  It really does take a lot of endurance if you want a good spot.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers put on a good, energetic show, playing mostly a "greatest hits" set with only a couple of new songs thrown in.  I had the unfortunate experience of standing next to a group of guys who wanted to start a mosh pit right next to me, so I got thrown around a few times.  Wait till you see my video of "Dani California" and you'll see what I mean.  The moshing began during that song as I was filming, and you'll see my video end abruptly.  I don't want to seem like some old geezer who doesn't want people to have fun during a concert, but "moshing" is pretty lame.  "Moshing" is basically people pushing each other back and forth.  How and why did this become popular?
                          (RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS)




So...it was a good experience overall.  For me, Neil Young wins the festival.  He was great, and I didn't get injured watching him.

1 comment:

  1. This is just like the Kaohsiung Pineapple and Lychee Culture Festival. Hot, wet, full of dirty people and bad music.

    Not as much moshing, though.

    ReplyDelete