Thursday, March 8, 2012

Radiohead in Austin!






Radiohead is one of my "bucket list" bands. A band that I've always wanted to see live, but for some reason or another, I've never been able to. They were one of my favorite bands during the late 90's and early 2000's. They had their first big single, "Creep", in 1993, but I didn't start to really like them until the release of "OK Computer" in 1997. "OK Computer" is a classic. One of the greatest albums ever. After that I bought "The Bends", which is another classic, almost at the same level of "OK Computer." With these two albums, I was hooked.

After "OK Computer", Radiohead had a lot of great songs, but, in my opinion, no great albums. Starting with "Kid A", they became much more experimental, focusing more on electronic music than creating solid rock songs with melody. Although I still continued to buy their albums, my interest in them began to gradually decline. ("Kid A" is probably my favorite from their post 90's material, "Hail to the Thief" my least favorite).

I tried to see Radiohead live once before when they were on tour to promote "Kid A" (around the year 2000 or 2001). I was living in California at the time, and the show was at the Hollywood Bowl. I waited outside Tower Records in Long Beach to try to get tickets. The show sold out in minutes. No tickets for me. I waited around, assuming they would add another show, but they didn't. Then I tried Ebay, but people were asking insane prices for tickets. I figured I would just try to catch them another time.

So...12 years later, I finally saw Radiohead live. Honestly, though, I wish I had seen them 12 years ago. The excitement had died down a little for me. The show at the Frank Erwin Center was good, but for me was also a bit disappointing. The band primarily focused on songs from their newest albums, ignoring their classic, late 90's work (with the exception of the last song, "Paranoid Android.")

I admire Radiohead for not just going out and playing their "greatest hits" to please the masses. Sure, I would have been happy, but I can understand that bands need to grow and keep creating new music, or else they will just be a nostalgia act like The Rolling Stones, The Who, and...yes, even Roger Waters.

Although they barely touched upon my favorite songs, there were some highlights for me. The four songs they played from "Kid A" sounded great live (Kid A, The National Anthem, Idioteque, and Everything in its Right Place). From the newer albums, "Nude" and "Give Up the Ghost" also have a new appreciation from me. And then, finally, at the very end, they gave us a classic from "OK Computer." I just wish there had been more.

(Pictures: 1. The Frank Erwin Center. 2-5. Radiohead. Yeah, I know the pictures are blurry and kind of suck, but those were the best. Obviously I need a new camera.)

2 comments:

  1. I live in Taiwan, and am from Austin, Texas. Seems like there are a lot of us. I came across your blog as I searched for the mileage between Texas and Taiwan because of a question on my tax return asking for it. Anyway, Radiohead is coming to Taipei as well, in July. A guy who came over to our apartment a while back is playing in a band that will open for them. I like Radiohead, but when you put the ticket price into NT dollars, it just seems like too much of a splurge for me. :) I'm glad to stumble upon your blog. If you're interested, I write the flip of yours I suppose: www.peopledothings.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog. I like your Thailand photos. I was there last summer (check my July blogs of last year). You might also like the blog I wrote while I was living in Taiwan: "An American Teacher in Taiwan" (www.kenberglund.blogspot.com)

    I noticed that Radiohead was going to Taipei. I was a bit surprised. When I was living there, the biggest act we got was Elton John. The Taiwanese seem to like bands that were popular 30 or more years ago (Air Supply, The Carpenters, Tony Orlando, Olivia Newton John, etc.) If you like Radiohead's new music, you'll love the show. If you like their old music, you will likely be disappointed, as I was.

    ReplyDelete