Monday, August 8, 2011

Crazy From the Heat



I'm having difficulty adapting to this heat in Texas. I just looked at the 10 day forecast for Austin: 103, 106, 106, 105, 104, 104, 103, 104, 104, 104. No clouds. No rain. Just blistering, insane heat.

Then...like the masochist I am, I have to go and check the weather in my old hometown of Long Beach, CA: 77, 78, 76, 74, etc. All temperatures in the 70's. I once again question my logic of moving to Texas. It may be cheaper to live here, and the traffic isn't as bad, and there are definitely less phonies trying to sell screenplays, but man, the weather is brutal here.

Since I now work part time instead of full time, I find myself with more free time to do things with the kids. Simple things like a walk in the neighborhood or a trip to the local park are an impossibility. Just a short trip to the mailbox can result in third degree burns. Our latest family trip consisted of going to see a movie (a free showing of "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" at the Alamo Drafthouse), followed by a pretzel at the local mall, followed by a trip to Target to buy more crap. All indoor activities, because that's all you can pretty much do during the summer in Texas. Stay indoors until about late September/early October, when temperatures finally reach a level when you can walk outside without suffering heatstroke.

This weather makes me long for the Texas winter, so I can then complain about how friggin' cold it is. But right now, 29 degrees sounds pretty good.

2 comments:

  1. 食破天驚 was an insult to Christianity and all Christ-fearing souls everywhere. Only Baby Jesus can turn water to wine, not some nerdy Jew outcast. It is physically impossible for a hovering robot to make pizza from moisture in the air. And how does the robot hover for such extended periods of time? Unrealistic!

    However, this feature presentation holds the finest performance I have ever seen from the underrated Mr T. Doogie Howser as a gay little monkey is not much of a stretch, but Anna Faris as an intelligent woman defies logic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it odd that, as someone without kids, you would watch this movie on your own free will.

    ReplyDelete