Thursday, January 27, 2011

Ramblings #1

As you probably noticed, I changed the look of this blog. I was getting tired of the old format, so... voila! I added some new stuff.

I'm going to try to post on the blog a little more often this year, so instead of always trying to come up with a singular topic to write about, I'll occasionally have these "Ramblings" posts. I'll just write about whatever happens to be on my mind at the time. I don't use Twitter, so this will be the closest to "Twittering" that you'll see from me.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't catch the State of the Union address, but I saw bits and pieces. I still support Obama and think he's doing the best he can possibly do under the circumstances. The Republicans seem to be shooting themselves in the foot spending so much time on healthcare reform when most of the country is looking at them to focus on jobs and the economy. Sure, they're making a "symbolic" statement, but who cares? Can't your symbolic statement wait a few months? Or a year?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Christy and I completed our taxes for 2010. We're getting a lot less than the previous two years. I guess that should be expected, considering we got the "Homeowners Credit" last year (which was $8,000). But, seriously, this time it's pretty low. I guess it's because we're not as poor as we used to be. Not that we were really that poor, but since we only worked for about 4 months in 2008 (the year we moved back here from Taiwan), Uncle Sam assumed we were poor, so they gave us some pretty big tax credits. Not this year, though. I guess now I'll have to join the chorus of those who complain about the illegal aliens getting all the free money!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Oscar nominations came out this week, but it seems like a pretty dull year. Out of the 10 nominations, I've seen 4 of them: Toy Story 3, The Social Network, True Grit, and Inception. They were all good, but none of them really blew me away. I guess I'd give the award to "Inception", but that's not going to win.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just watched the movie "Buried" on pay per view last week. Surprisingly good for a movie that takes place inside a coffin for the entire running time.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the right of this screen you will see a new feature regarding blogs that I visit. "Meigouren Adventures" is David's blog. There's another cool one called "Bootleg Tunz World" where you can download concerts for free (and good stuff, too, not crap.)

2 comments:

  1. By the way Ken, I like the new look of your blog. It seems warmer and more comfortable.

    It's funny that you mention the Republicans shooting themselves in the foot for spending so much time on healthcare rather than jobs and the economy. It seems that I recall the Democrats doing the same thing for two years before getting shellacked at the polls. I remember asking myself the same questions you have printed here.

    Like everyone else, you have also noticed you are getting a lot less back on your taxes this year. There is a reason for that. That is to say, your taxes have gone up. But, wait, wasn’t that was supposed to happen only to the rich?"

    And who raised them? Hmmm...

    Just wait, it will get better (tongue in cheek), unless Federal spending comes down dramatically.

    Obama is doing the best he can, however misguided his politics are. He is only human. The people who criticize a president from the hip are simply ignorant of the exigencies of the job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wallah? Are you Muslim now? Or did you mean voilà? being Muslim in Texas might prove difficult.

    ReplyDelete