Wednesday, September 1, 2010

40 is the new 20


So, today is my 40th birthday. 40 freakin' years old. It's an age that's hard to imagine when you're a young kid, but now here it is staring me at the face. I'm not young anymore, I'm middle aged.

I feel grateful to still be alive at 40. I know 40 isn't that old, but I've got a few friends and classmates that didn't make it this far. My Taiwanese sister in law recently found out that she has cancer in her neck, and she's only 33! So....(knock on wood), I feel lucky I've made it this far without any serious medical problems.

I certainly don't feel like I'm 40, and when I saw a picture recently of Courtney Cox wearing a shirt that said "4O is the new 20", I thought yeah, that makes sense. I still feel like I'm in my 20's.

I've changed a lot. I'm a lot more responsible than I was 20 years ago (kids have a way of doing that to you) but I'm still a bit of a kid at heart. I still enjoy going to rock concerts, or playing a game like "Rock Band" on the PS3. I like playing with Sara and Kyle, but sometimes my 40 year old body doesn't always agree with my 20 year old attitude. I can only let them ride on my back like a horse for a few minutes before I start complaining about my aching bones. hehehe

I don't have to work today. I've got the day off. My fun filled agenda includes picking up Sara from school, taking my wife to see the dentist, buying a new hair-dryer, picking up a "Thomas" book from the library, and then having a (hopefully) nice dinner. Yeah, it's not the same as going to Disneyland or Magic Mountain like I used to do for my birthday as a kid, but at my age, just being able to have dinner with the family is its own present.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ken, Happy Birthday. Indeed, you have a lot of reasons to be happy! Hope you've had a nice day. I'm only a few months away from #40. As for the aches and pains, have you tried the glucosamine products, like Move Free? They seem to help my knees feel better.

    I always say that I still feel 27-years old, but I don't think I could ever be a 20-year-old again!

    Take care!
    --Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Ken. I've been thinking a lot about longevity lately myself, even though I'm only a few months shy of 22. I think the best thing to do is just to treat yourself well and trust that everything will turn out OK. Be grateful for the time you've already had, and try to enjoy each day.

    My grandpa just turned 87; to me that seems like an impossibly long time, but more and more people in the developed world are reaching advanced age than ever before. He still does all of his own yard work and goes on a walk each morning at 5:30. So who knows, you very well may have many decades yet to enjoy!

    PS -- I'm in Taiwan right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 40 is pretty old. Maybe Logan's Run had the right idea.

    ReplyDelete