Friday, July 9, 2010

The Decline of Good Movies


We took Kyle to see his first movie recently, "Toy Story 3", and was quite surprised when he didn't run around and go crazy. He sat through the entire movie, wide-eyed, and almost never saying a word.

Wow, I thought to myself. Now that Kyle can finally sit through a movie, maybe we can take him to other movies!

The only problem is...what movie? This summer has got to be the worst summer for movies that I can remember. For kids and adults alike. For every good movie like "Toy Story 3", there is complete dreck like "Marmaduke."

What has this summer offered so far?

The Prince of Persia ----another video game made into a movie? Boring.
The Last Airbender ---when was the last time M. Night Shyamalan made anything good?
Sex and the City 2 ----even my wife doesn't want to see this.
Jonah Hex --- more comic book movies from comic books I've never heard of
The A Team --- A bad TV show that only can only make for a bad movie.
The Karate Kid ---- Did this really need to be remade, and with that annoying Will Smith kid?
Knight and Day --- Tom Cruise as action hero just doesn't work for me.
Robin Hood --- looked promising at first until the reviews came in, and the PG-13 rating.
Grown Ups ---- Adam Sandler and Rob Schneider, enough reason not to see it.

Even movies that I didn't catch in the theater and watched on pay per view have been disappointing. I just saw "The Wolfman" and it nearly put me to sleep. Same goes for the latest George Romero zombie movie "Survival of the Dead." What is going on??

It seems the only movie left that might save the summer from being a total washout, other than "Toy Story 3", is the Chris Nolan movie "Inception." Nolan, the director of "The Dark Knight" hasn't had a bad movie yet, so this seems promising.

As I had mentioned before, I have some pretty fond memories of my mom taking me to the movies every Sunday afternoon when I was a kid. Yeah, we saw a lot of junk, but we saw a lot of really good stuff too. It would be nice to continue that tradition with my kids (although with today's ticket prices, that's not likely), but when the movies coming out are like this, I think it's better to just stay home.

(Picture: "Toy Story 3", the one good movie (so far) of the summer.)

2 comments:

  1. Agreed. Even a good share of the simpler movies made in past years had more depth and gravity. It seems that the mainstream movies Hollywood is producing today are sped up in tempo, dumbed down on the story and/or choked to the extreme with hyper action scenes. I rarely come out of theater these days and say "Wow, now that a good movie!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can establish a different tradition that will be just as meaningful as a weekend movie every week. For both of your children. One day they'll be saying, "I remember when Dad . . . ."

    Entertainment is going downhill fast. But you and your family can make your own entertainment.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete