Wednesday, December 16, 2009

KTV

KTV (a place where you sing karaoke, for those unfamiliar) is very popular in Taiwan. I don't think I ever wrote about KTV's on my Taiwan blog because I rarely went to them. KTV's are everywhere in Taiwan, even in the small, farm towns where my in-laws live. The Taiwanese love, love, love to sing!

I remember going to a KTV once when I lived in Taiwan. Christy's friends paid for it. It was at this very lavish building that looked like a hotel. We had our own room for about an hour or so. Everyone would take turns singing some Chinese song while all the lyrics were displayed on a giant TV screen. I didn't sing because I didn't know any of the songs they were playing, and the lyrics were all in Chinese anyway. It did look fun, though.

That was an example of expensive KTV. In the smaller towns, you'll just see someone sitting on a small stool, singing into an amplifier that's turned up WAY too loud, looking at a small screen TV in a small garage. It's usually so loud that the song, and the person singing, sounds so distorted that it's painful to listen to.

I never really thought that karaoke was that popular in the states, but it seems to have been reborn with the new video game franchise called "Rock Band." As an early Christmas present, I was given "Rock Band 2" and it's actually pretty fun. Not only can you sing, karaoke style, to your favorite rock songs, you can also play along with drums and a (fake) guitar.

"The Beatles: Rock Band" has become a new favorite in our house. Here's a video I just took, with Kyle (on vocals), Sara (on guitar), and Christy (on drums) playing "Here Comes the Sun."

1 comment:

  1. I thought Kareoke was pretty popular in the USA for a few years. We have a karaoke bar right here in this small town. I've never been to it, so don't know how successful it is.

    ReplyDelete